Menu

wws reviews

3browneyedboys4me

I just realized that this was available. I know- I'm slow! Can anyone share their experiences with me? I would be using it with a 7th/8th grader.

It looks impressive, but I have never used any of the WTM writing programs. I'm thinking of giving them a try though.

Any thoughts? would this be ok to use if you've not used any of the WWE programs?

thanks so much!

We've only been using it for 3 weeks, so take my post with a grain of salt.

It is a big step up from WWE, but my son is enjoying it. SWB breaks down the steps of creating an outline well, and it doesn't seem to overwhelm my son, although there is a lot more writing than in WWE. The texts focus more on non-fiction, and SWB is clearly working towards getting your child proficient in using more academic texts. I am very excited about using this text.

We'll be using it in combination with some Julie Bogart freewriting to focus on style.

Do you think a seventh or eigth grader could start with WWS if he hasn't used any of the WWE books?

Thank you!

Definitely. My 6th grader did not do WWE and has had no trouble. We just needed to spend an extra month working on summarizing because he was so bad at it.

Take a look at k-8 writing workshop board, and look at the "please post WWS assignments here" thread. Myself and others have posted numerous examples and ideas about WWS there. It would give you a good idea of what to expect.

Ruth in NZ