Menu

Question for you military moms - moving overseas?

It looks like we'll be going to Germany! I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it. We've got a few months, but I am a super control freak lady and I'd like to get started on some planning.

What do you send with unaccompanied baggage? I won't need school things right away - we'll be arriving in June and I should have everything before time for school to start. Besides, I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend we'll get much school done as soon as we arrive.

So - the obvious things, clothes, towels, bedding, coffee pot, tea kettle, computer - what am I not thinking of? Is there a list somewhere I could look at?

Also - we're in GA right now, but will be going to TX to see family before we leave. I'd LOVE to be able to take our car to TX and ship it from there and then fly out of Dallas. Is that possible? I know transportation can answer that for me, but they won't talk to us til we have official orders, and we won't have those til EFMP screenings are done and that won't be done til the first week of March. Does anyone know? I've 'heard' that we have to fly out of the airport nearest our duty station but I'm hoping that's not true. I hate to drive to TX and have to drive back to fly out. Yuck!

Anyone shipped a pet? We have to take our dog and cat. Should we fly them as baggage on our flight? I know we have to pay for it. I just need the most cost effective way of doing this. We've got the microchipping, health certificate, shots all ready to be taken care of - it's just the actual logistics of moving them from one place to the next.

Any other advice/information would be more than welcome. I'm so excited, but more than a little overwhelmed with the details. I know thousands of people do this all the time, I can handle it. Right?

What do you send with unaccompanied baggage? I won't need school things right away - we'll be arriving in June and I should have everything before time for school to start. Besides, I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend we'll get much school done as soon as we arrive.

So - the obvious things, clothes, towels, bedding, coffee pot, tea kettle, computer - what am I not thinking of? Is there a list somewhere I could look at?

A handful of pots and pans, one set of dishes and silverware, movies, games, things to keep the kids busy.

Also - we're in GA right now, but will be going to TX to see family before we leave. I'd LOVE to be able to take our car to TX and ship it from there and then fly out of Dallas. Is that possible? I know transportation can answer that for me, but they won't talk to us til we have official orders, and we won't have those til EFMP screenings are done and that won't be done til the first week of March. Does anyone know? I've 'heard' that we have to fly out of the airport nearest our duty station but I'm hoping that's not true. I hate to drive to TX and have to drive back to fly out. Yuck!

When we were stationed in NC and were moving to Hawaii, we flew from and shipped our car from Dallas. However, it was closer and cheaper for us to fly from Dallas than NC. We also had to get an exception to policy letter. If it will be more for you to fly from/ship the car from TX than GA, then you might have to pay the difference.

Anyone shipped a pet? We have to take our dog and cat. Should we fly them as baggage on our flight? I know we have to pay for it. I just need the most cost effective way of doing this. We've got the microchipping, health certificate, shots all ready to be taken care of - it's just the actual logistics of moving them from one place to the next.

You can't fly them as baggage overseas (at least on most airlines). They have to go as cargo. There are breed and temperature restrictions. Pets rarely end up on the same flight as you. You will have to check with their airlines and figure it out from there.

You will have a great time; we loved Germany! :)

You might need to look into the pet thing more-sometimes I believe there are restrictions on when they can fly due to temperature. Just something to have in the back of your mind in case you need to arrange care in the States and have them flown over later.

We were never in Germany but were in Italy for four years. I don't think thy are going to allow you to fly out of Dallas though since its farther away than your duty station and you'll be routed through Atlanta moving from where you are.

Also keep in mind the voltage differences in Europe, you may need to get euro coffee pot, etc if you're living off post (not sure about on post)

Have fun! I'd love to get back overseas before my DH retires but I'm not sure it will happen for us.

The military will pay to fly you from your previous duty station (well, the nearest airport) to Germany. If you want to fly from Dallas instead of NC, or ship your vehicle, you'll probably have to pay the difference.

Have fun!!! I spent 12 years in Germany as a kid and I loved it. I would give just about anything for those orders now.