Menu

ETC question (specific to DS, not general)

5Bmom

DS has raced through ETC1. I didn't know until after I started that the 1/2 books went WITH the numbered books. Since he had no hiccups with 1, should I toss 1 1/2 and move yo 2 OR since he is z very young K shoukd I do the half book for extra re-enforcement.

I think most people don't even buy the half books unless the child is struggling with the whole numbered books - then they use them after. So you didn't do it wrong! But you don't need to use it if you feel like he's doing well. See if you can resell it or pass it along to someone. It's also fine to use the half level without having used the whole number book of it (as in, to do book 1 1/2 instead of book 1).

I agree. Don't use the half unless you think he needs it.

@farrarwilliams - how would it work to use the 1/2 instead of the "whole" book? Is it abbreviated? Does it spell out the same rules? Does it have pretty much the same format as the "wholes"? Very curious because we love etc but have never heard of doing this. Under what circumstances would you recommend doing that? Sorry to ask so many questions... I'm fascinated. :-)

@farrarwilliams - how would it work to use the 1/2 instead of the "whole" book? Is it abbreviated? Does it spell out the same rules? Does it have pretty much the same format as the "wholes"? Very curious because we love etc but have never heard of doing this. Under what circumstances would you recommend doing that? Sorry to ask so many questions... I'm fascinated. :-)

I did it to give a small confidence boost to my slower reader (No, I'm on book 2 and a HALF!) when his brother was flying through ETC faster than him - and give him a sense he was in a different place than his twin so I could say things like, "They're different books - don't compare." Also, it was slightly longer so I thought having a few extra pages of practice might be useful for him. They do lay out the rule, just like in the whole books, but with less examples sometimes. They're almost totally the same - some of them have something slightly different, but not much.

In this case I was more suggesting it - as in if the OP knew someone who wanted to do ETC and she wanted to pass the book along, they need not worry about doing 1 1/2 instead of 1. Or if anyone were to want to buy one of the books and saw a good deal on it, but it was the half level, that would work too.