Menu

Blood Tests -- What Would the Hive Do?

Dd is going to the Dominican Republic with her youth group for a mission trip over Spring Break. One of the forms we're filling out for our church mission group asks for her blood type.

We've never had to know her blood type, and have no record of it anywhere. Our insurance won't cover the test at the doctor's office. I'm currently jumping through hoops to find out how much it would cost if we have to pay for it ourselves. ("Okay, call this number, and give them this procedure code, and they should be able to tell you." Hang up and dial next number. "No, I need a 5 digit code -- didn't they give you anything else?" Gah.)

She is too young to donate to Red Cross.

So, what about the kit you use at home? I'm thinking of the Eldoncard that you use for things like Apologia Anatomy (or whatever other reason people use those). Would you consider that accurate enough for our purposes?

Can you call the health department and ask them if they can do the test? It may be much cheaper there. And even though she is too young to give blood, maybe the Red Cross or another blood service may be able to help you.

When a friend of mine was going thru nursing school she took courses to be a hematologist at the local community college. I know that she had to find nonfamily volunteers to for blood draws and running tests on blood. Maybe a professor could help you if a program like that is near you?

Can you leave it blank? I don't think you can get a blood transfusion without being typed and crossed, so I can't see this info helping in an emergency anyways. What is the form for? Like, did someone at the church create the forms or insurance?

I think the form came from the cover organization that's backing the trip -- which I can't come up with the name of, but as I recall it's something to do with the United Methodist or Presbyterian denomination. I suspect that they use it for ALL mission trips, including those that are adults going to more exotic locales.

ETA: Okay, it's Volunteers in Mission -- UMVIM. We also had to fill out forms about what to do with her body and personal effects in case she drops dead while there. They're covering all bases with their forms, in other words.

I would just put unknown and leave it at that. I can't imagine why they'd need that information. In the extremely unlikely case she'd need a blood transfusion, they'd have to type her anyway.

See, that's what I think, too. It isn't like they're going to be doing DIY transfusions thousands of miles from civilization. It's also not likely that it will even come up that anyone needs anything to do with a blood transfusion.

Can you call the health department and ask them if they can do the test? It may be much cheaper there. And even though she is too young to give blood, maybe the Red Cross or another blood service may be able to help you.

When a friend of mine was going thru nursing school she took courses to be a hematologist at the local community college. I know that she had to find nonfamily volunteers to for blood draws and running tests on blood. Maybe a professor could help you if a program like that is near you?

We asked at the county health department when we went for the typhoid shot, and the answer was that they don't do it for this sort of case (they might if you're one of their regular clients -- I'm vague on that).

The idea of a nursing student needing volunteers is interesting -- I might follow up on that. Thanks!

Edited by GailV

If someone needs blood on an emergency situation, they are given O negative blood. If anything happens where she needed blood, they know how to do a blood type. And any blood bank is not going to accept a blood type just because someone told them what their type is, it is always reconfirmed. We have people all the time tell us (the blood bank) that they are an A positive when they are really an O positive. I wouldn't give the blood type even if I knew it. There is no real reason for them to have it.