Menu

Does this book exist? Catholicism for Tourists

I'm traveling to Florence for a week in April, and I'd like to read something that will enhance my appreciation for and understanding of the cathedrals we will be visiting in Tuscany. Any suggestions?

I was Mormon until I was 30, and I've attended a mix of UU and UCC churches since then, so I have a very Low Church background. I like attending Episcopalian church services when I travel in the US or the UK, so I have some experience with High Church ritual, but I don't really understand the services fully.

I am definitely, absolutely not looking to convert. But I would like to understand better than I do now. Any book suggestions? :bigear:

If you are primarily looking for something that talks about the services and how to behave as a visitor in one, try "How to be a Perfect Stranger: the essential religious etiquette handbook" by Matlins.

http://books.google.com/books/about/How_to_Be_a_Perfect_Stranger.html?id=3vDI7YSzQEQC

If you are currently attending a UU or UCC church, you might check to see if the church has a copy you can borrow. I think our RE director has a copy in her library.

There are both Dummies and Idiot's Guides. You'll mainly want to know the major saints and their symbols, the scenes in the life of the Virgin that are frequently painted and the basic Bible stories to understand the art. If you plan to go to Mass, don't worry about it, just do what everyone else does. You won't be at a significant disadvantage to most of the tourist Catholics there because they won't understand the words and some parts of the sit/stand/kneel are different. Watch out for anybody recruiting volunteers or you might end up an altarboy like Spycar!

Have a great trip!

ETA: The only big no-no is going to Communion unless you are a practicing Catholic with no mortal sins to confess.

There are both Dummies and Idiot's Guides. You'll mainly want to know the major saints and their symbols, the scenes in the life of the Virgin that are frequently painted and the basic Bible stories to understand the art. If you plan to go to Mass, don't worry about it, just do what everyone else does. You won't be at a significant disadvantage to most of the tourist Catholics there because they won't understand the words and some parts of the sit/stand/kneel are different. Watch out for anybody recruiting volunteers or you might end up an altarboy like Spycar!

Have a great trip!

ETA: The only big no-no is going to Communion unless you are a practicing Catholic with no mortal sins to confess.

Yes, the bold is a key part of what I am looking for. Will I find this in the Dummies or Idiot's guides?

I would love to attend a service, but given my traveling companions and the timing of the trip, I think that is unlikely. (We arrive mid-morning on Easter morning. :glare:)

If you know which cathedrals you will be visiting, google them. I bet you can find what you are looking for on a website. Otherwise, I would see if there is a Rick Steves travel guide for the area you are traveling in. He will likely have some back ground on the churches of the area. You can also look at his TV shows on http://www.Hulu.com and see if any are for that area.

Have fun!

Yes, the bold is a key part of what I am looking for. Will I find this in the Dummies or Idiot's guides?

How about "Sister Wendy's grand tour: discovering Europe's great art." She's a Roman Catholic nun with a huge interest in art history. She's also got a children's book on saints, a number of videos, etc. The first episode of the video version of "Sister Wendy's Grand Tour" focuses on Florence.

Try these websites as a starting point:

http://www.casasantapia.com/engels/firenze/churches.htm

http://www.mega.it/eng/egui/monu/buq.htm

Here's a Rick Steves video on Florence

and on Tuscany

You can get his guidebooks as well.

Edited by KarenNC