Menu

LinguiSystem's EF books

oliveview

Now for an opposite experience. :)

We've been working on the books for MONTHS AND MONTHS on and off. There's almost nothing that I've been able to skip. There are usually 5 levels of activities for each concept. Even if she got the 1st one, it usually turned out she didn't have the proper thought process to do the harder ones and would get stuck. So then we have to go BACK and redo the easy ones. Now I skip nothing. No, we are not faithful. Our lives are crazy, going to co-op, doing this, doing that, so we just stick it in where we can. I have post-it notes for every new section and just move them and mark tallies as we do the next page in a section. It has been good, definitely, but we aren't flying through it. I have no clue when we'll get done. The book just goes on forever and ever, like a drive through California desert...

What I DON'T think you should do is do the two kids at the same time. They need their own sessions, so they really THINK. This is supposed to be therapeutic and brain-stretching, and you can't get that if they're only doing half the work or riding on the other person. But once you do something with the one, obviously you'll be faster for doing it with the other. And you'll probably be really sneaky and figure out ways to play games with them both or integrate it into their school work. It won't be terrible. None of it's terrible, mercy. You can only spend a few minutes a day, or you melt them. So you're talking 5-15 minutes per day with each kid, depending on how much they drag their feet.

Mercy, I'm using it in the simplest way possible: I open the book, do a page with her, and shut it. Yes, there's lots of stuff in there and fancier ways to do it, but you don't have to. And yes eventually it leads to self-monitoring and whatnot. Really though, I'm just looking for lights to click.

No, there are things he could do right now. Some he won't be ready for, but much he will. And personally, I'd start now and hit a wall, rather than waiting till he's 10 or 12. After all, these are skills that are appropriate for much younger children. I didn't realize how skewed my expectations were till I started reading "Late, Lost, and Unprepared."

So is the book overtly teaching about certain EF topics or skills to the student, and then does the student then use that information to consciously modify their behavior, because they have learned about some new strategies? Is that it?

Let me see if I can help. I've got the Elementary EF Training book in front of me. The first section works on Working Memory. You teach the student how to use chunking, rehearsing, and subvocalizing (grouping, repeating) in order to memorize various things: a string of numbers, a list of colors, directions. The examples get progressively more challenging as the lessons progress. (3 colors early on, five unrelated words later.)

Here's another example: The section on Time Management starts with an exercise in which the student estimates the amount of time needed to do certain tasks by picturing and then writing down the steps. It progresses to a "which takes longer" exercise, and then eventually moves into homework planning and planning for long-term assignments. All of these lessons guide the student using various tasks (listing, checklists, calendars, etc.) toward mastery of the concept.

And personally, I'd start now and hit a wall, rather than waiting till he's 10 or 12.

:iagree: You can definitely simplify these assignments!

This has been VERY helpful everyone. I went ahead and ordered both books today. I am going to go thru the books individually. I guess I was clinging to some miracle that there might be something I could combine! 3 children in Barton was about all I thought I could do!! I told my dh there was no way I could add anything else but then I saw these books. Executive function is an issue in all three of our kids. I just have to find the time. They have the time, it's me that has to find the time to teach another one on one. I'll find the time. I know I will but is anyone else really, I mean REALLY, tired?! Lol

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Sherri

Are you specifically talking about the Executive Fuctions Training for Elementary? Would you recommend it for an 11yr old?

I can't pay for testing right now either in general or for developmental optometrist and insurance won't pay for either. I do, however, have a confirmed diagnosis (from ps) & neurologist for ADD. I know for sure that he is at least moderately dyslexic based on the checklist at brighsolution for dyslexia and the fact that my dh also is dyslexic. I posted last week about my ds' trouble with summarizing verbally his lessons in WWE. We went ahead and ordered the Diane Craft Bio of Behavior and the integration therapy manual so we could do some of the diet changes and vision excersises at home.

Also, I have a 8 yr. old with what seems like moderate to severe dyslexia. Are there linguisystems books recommended for him. I have their catalog in hand but I admit I'm having trouble really understanding what everything is used for, besides the very obvious autism products. :tongue_smilie:

Are you specifically talking about the Executive Fuctions Training for Elementary? Would you recommend it for an 11yr old?

Yes, that's the book, and it would work for both your 11 year old and your 8 year old. Personally I think you could order just one book and do the activities separately. (See OhEliz's recs about teaching separately vs. together earlier in this thread.)