Menu

Oak Meadow Users

winoelle

I am considering switching over to Oak Meadow as my main curriculum (supplemented because that is just how I am). We will be doing 5th grade next year, my question is this: Is it still worthwhile even if you have already read a lot of the books? Their selections for 5th grade mostly are books my dd has already read. TIA.

Noelle

I really love Oak Meadow. We did 5th last year and enjoyed it. You don't HAVE to stick with those specific book suggestions...you can re-read them if you want to, but you can also find books that are similar.

Oak Meadow assigns books that are like living books based on the social studies material you are covering. You'll read a short lesson in social studies, then they'll assign a book that also pertains to that material most of the time, and then there will be some sort of writing assignment based on it (and they will give a choice of interesting writing assignment topics).

I'm sure most of the time you can find a substitute/similar book that still pertains to the topic/material if you don't want to read the same book again! For that matter, OM has really good customer service and if you call or email them to talk to them, they might even be willing to make specific suggestions for you, or in some cases the syllabus lists extra reading ideas and you could go with one of those books instead.

If you want more info on OM, I've got tons of info on it on my blog (see link in signature). Day to day life entries in the main blog- we're doing OMK and OM6 this year in a relaxed manner with some supplementing and lots of outings and field trips and such, and other info in the sidebar to the left.

In the sidebar I've got a detailed Oak Meadow review, and under "Schedule Samples" there's one for 5th grade showing what a sample week of fifth grade was like, and at the bottom of that there's a link that brings you to the first entry of our fifth grade year if you're interested in seeing more of those day-to-day activities.