Menu

We've got coverage for a dysgraphia evaluation!

Tiramisu

I checked with the insurance company and we're good to go. If we had to cover it ourselves, it would cost $600. Insane. It turns out our coverage is now much better than it was before when we only had 60 continuous days of OT as a single lifetime benefit. Now I just have to wait for the call from the scheduler.

After our recent struggles--and finding her alone in her room crying the other night because of her writing struggles--I took out the old report from OT five years ago. I saw that the OT then did identify "mild" impairment of fine motor skills and handwriting. It was an SPD evaluation and not a full evaluation for dysgraphia, but it's there. (If this sounds familiar, it's because it is. I decided to get another dd evaluated again for CAPD because of what I found in an old report. Eerie, isn't it?)

This morning we're having more pencil struggles. Her grip is horrible and has never been successfully remediated. The pencil is pushed through her hand as she writes. The pencil grips we have drive her nuts, probably because she struggles with tactile defensiveness. I don't know if I should have offered to scribe right away because she reached such a level of frustration that it was really hard to get her in gear again.

Besides the frustration and bad handwriting, I've noticed weird spacing, like spaces between syllables that are wider than spaces between words. Also, what is so strange to me is usually when she starts to write, she'll usually start in the middle of the page instead of along the left margin--and I'm not talking about generously indenting a paragraph. She can be oddly inconsistent with capitals and punctuation, though I know she knows the rules. She had a composite 99th percentile score on her CAT test last year.

Anyway, I'm really frustrated with all this as well, but so relieved that I can get this checked out finally. And, what's really good is that it's only five minutes away! No schlepping across bridges and missing a half day of school. :001_smile:

I'm so glad you're going to be able to get this done! When we had our neuropsych eval done almost 2 years ago, we had a similar experience with respect to insurance coverage. 10 years ago, my daughter had been referred for a neuropsych eval but we never had it done & one reason is that there was no funding for it at all from insurance. This time, our insurance covered the whole thing! (Though, they did deny it at first when we submitted the paperwork & I had to remind them that I had been told it would be covered).

I am considering a new eval for handwriting that is more thorough than what we got 1.5yrs ago. Ds is just on the cusp of being functional. He now can handwrite his math lessons which was impossible 2 years ago, but taking notes in class quickly is still difficult.