Menu

Quick! If you have a minute (re: neuropsych)

jujsky

DH and I are going back down to Boston Children's today to meet with the developmental pediatrician about the neuropsych testing DS did 2 weeks ago. We are not getting the written report for another 6-8 weeks. We assumed we'd get it at this meeting, but when DH called last week to see if we could get it early so we could read it over and make a list of questions to make the most out of our meeting, that's what he was told. I'm under the impression it's not even written yet, which in a lot of ways is good -- they may be more willing to modify a diagnosis to make it more compatible with our insurance company if we can make a strong enough case for one thing over another.

Anyway, when we have this meeting, what should I ask? Should I have a list of questions for each possible diagnosis I think he might have? My list includes ADHD, Aspergers or PDD-NOS, and NVLD. I do intend to ask how they know it's one thing over another or in addition to another since there is so much overlap (and comorbidity) with all of these disorders. I also took a couple of videos on my phone of DS displaying behaviors like toe-walking and spinning (spinning for about 5 minutes straight while eating a granola bar and having a conversation with me!). I also checked "no" on all those questionaires asking if he has anxiety, but after talking to him, I think he does. He said that his belly gets all tingly when he has to do math, spelling, or writing. I got a video of that conversation on my phone too. Other than that, questions? We're leaving around noon and our appointment is at 1:40. I meant to make a list last night, but had a horrible migraine and went to bed early. Now I'm scrambling!

Aspergers or PDD-NOS would subsume the behaviors of ADHD or NVLD. I don't believe the latter is even recognized as a medical diagnosis.

I've read that Aspergers and ADHD can be comorbid, but when that's the case you'd see more of the hyperactive/impulsive behaviors than you'd typically see with Aspbergers.

Our NP had a parent meeting, then mailed the report, we read over that and made a list of questions, then had a 2nd parent meeting.

Today, accept the label. The label alone doesn't help, you can have 100 children with the same label who all present differently. Focus on learning what your child's parameters are. This is key.

How is your son's working memory? Does he struggle with auditory information? How is his processing speed? Was their significant score scatter? What holds his learning domain together? How much of this is personality? What is wiring? What could be improved a bit until he reaches his personal ceiling? Those are the things I'd start with.

From there I would ask for specifics in how to work with your son's need and prepare him for adulthood. Both with academics and life skills. Ask about his executive functioning age and what role that plays.

Our NP encouraged alternative educational methods. Ask about methods that would work best for your child, remind them you homeschool and have much more flexibility in approach.

Ask if your son would benefit from testing accommodations.

Got to run.

Thank you!