Menu

Acne cream

Recently my daughter has been using some antibiotic cream for acne that her doctor prescribed. I wasn't sure how long she was supposed to use the antibiotic cream and frankly it wasn't clearing her pimples very well so suggested she go back to a name brand over the counter cream I used to buy her.

After applying the OTC cream before bed, she woke up to itchy skin and red blotches on her face! She had to get to school so I suggested putting some makeup over it but I think I just made it worse. On a positive note the cream cleared the pimples up. So, I don't know if she had an allergic reaction to the cream. She used to get itchy skin a lot and sometimes redness on her face and now I realize (not sure why I didn't before) that it must have been from that cream when she used to use it regularly.

SO, any suggestions? Does anyone have experiences with their kids on creams that worked well? She already doesn't drink milk as we learned that she is lactose intolerant.

Recently my daughter has been using some antibiotic cream for acne that her doctor prescribed. I wasn't sure how long she was supposed to use the antibiotic cream and frankly it wasn't clearing her pimples very well so suggested she go back to a name brand over the counter cream I used to buy her.

After applying the OTC cream before bed, she woke up to itchy skin and red blotches on her face! She had to get to school so I suggested putting some makeup over it but I think I just made it worse. On a positive note the cream cleared the pimples up. So, I don't know if she had an allergic reaction to the cream. She used to get itchy skin a lot and sometimes redness on her face and now I realize (not sure why I didn't before) that it must have been from that cream when she used to use it regularly.

SO, any suggestions? Does anyone have experiences with their kids on creams that worked well? She already doesn't drink milk as we learned that she is lactose intolerant.

Yes, I have had the same exact experience as your daughter had up until 3 months ago. I used to see an old dermatologist who was very old school and didn't believe in taking pills and gave me cream to use. Well, it irritated my skin and it never cleared up my acne fully either!!

So my parents made a new appointment a few months ago to see a more up-to-date dermatologist (I practically begged them to) and he prescribed pills and some cream to help control the oil on my face along with the acne. And let me tell you, I am so very thankful that I did this. I no longer have any irritation and the pills are slowly but surely clearing my face up. He is taking it slow, he doesn't want my body to react badly to the pills and I have another appointment with himin two months for a follow-up.

I hope this helps, a dermatologist appoint would help I believe. If not, check out acne.org as a second suggestions.

My son is taking an antibiotic orally and has a cream mixture of benzoyl peroxide and Erythromicin that he uses twice a day. He is following this treatment for 3 months and then he goes back to the dermatologist. After a few weeks, we have noticed a change but the acne is definitely not all gone. When we go back in early April, she is going to give him something to try to help with the red scarring on his cheeks. She mentioned Retin-A but I've not read lots of good things about it. But we have to do something because the scarring is bad enough that it looks like he does still have acne even though his cheeks are mostly smooth now.

Before we went to the dermatogist, Benzoyl Peroxide was helping. I had purchased Proactiv but I was going to buy it in a different brand. We stopped using Proactiv's 3-step process and just applying the 3rd step and his face was getting better. But I took him to the dermatologist because I needed to find out if we could get rid of the red marks. My son is disappointed that it's going to take a while to get clear skin. It's just not an overnight fix.

Acne.org suggests benzoyl peroxide. Keeping the skin clean too is important. We wash ds's face twice a day before we put the antibiotic cream on. It's been a huge hassle for him because he never cared for his face before. But with his type of acne, I told him this was probably going to be a lifelong routine and that he better get used to it. :tongue_smilie: