Menu

Keeping little ones entertained?

heidip2p

I think my mommy brain is just shot today. We want to use some of our tax return to put together activites for our 3 little ones. Can you share what a few of your favorite activites for your infant, toddler and preschooler are? I feel like this is the last big hurdle we need to get our days to run smoothly.

With the toddler to preschool aged little ones, we do a lot of Montessori-type activities. There are lots of blog posts and pinterest pins with ideas that work.

My 22 month old is starting to do things like play with sensory tubs (dyed pasta or rice, cups, spoons). He will play with stacking pegs and small puzzles for a few mins here and there. He likes putting toothpicks into the small holes from a cleaned out old spice jar. I look forward to an increased attention span and ability to engage in lengthier work though. I remember my DD hitting that age and it was really fun. I made up lots of activities for her and she was able to sit and work on them for 10-15 mins or more. Tonging, using tweezers, clothespin activities, stickers, etc.

The chasingcheerios blog always has good fine motor activities.

The BEST quiet activity in my house a toy called "Peek A Zoo" lock box. They don't make it anymore, but there is one on ebay right now. It is really well made and all of my kids have played with it from the time they can crawl right up through elementary school.

Here is a link to the one on ebay, and I would consider anything under $30 a steal for this!

We do a lot of sorting by color, shape, size. I generally just go to the local dollar store and pick items to be sorted and various containers to sort into. We use small balls and icecube trays (one item per square of the tray) for one-to-one correspondence. I have a small set of utility drawers (plastic, with little tiny drawers desinged for screws, nuts, etc. Each drawer has a letter on it, and whatever small objects or pictures I can find to start with that letter inside. Great for exploring the letter sounds, sorting by first letter, etc. We have various numerals (1-10) and counters. We have card sets from Montessori Print Shop that we printed and laminated (sorting objects by land, air, or sea; color matching cards; animals and silhouette matching; object and silhouette matching; alphabet cards; shape cards). We have a set of geometric shapes to practice shape identification.

We have tons of wooden puzzles, ranging from peg puzzles through 48 piece puzzles. For Christmas, we got the Guidecraft Sort & Match Flower Patch (they have a train one, too), which comes with various magnetic flower pieces, cards with examples of flower patches, and a magnetic board - kiddo has to exactly copy the flower patch examples with the magnetic flower pieces. Educational Insight's Castle Logic game, which has 6 castle pieces and a book of examples - kid has to make the castle pieces look like the example.

Montessori binomial cube, pink tower, color box 3 (identifying and sorting colors by shades), and sandpaper alphabet.

Lacing, tracing, tweezing and spooning activites (fine motor skills). Practice pouring (we use beans in cups), table setting (plastic), and folding...