Menu

The GDC free testing announcement...

2smartones

(From my email)

The GDC has been asked to conduct a validation study of the fourth edition of the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI-IV) for the purpose of extending the norms of the scale to the furthest extent possible. We are seeking your assistance in locating children between the ages of 2.6 and 7.6 who meet one of the following criteria:

1. Was previously tested before March, 2011, on the WISC-IV or WPPSI-III and attained a score of 145 or above.
  2. Was previously tested before September, 2011 on another standardized intelligence scale (Stanford-Binet, DAS, etc.) and attained a score of 145 or above.
  3. Has siblings who attend PG Retreat, are Davidson Young Scholars, or have tested 160 or above using quantitative or qualitative methods.

We are required to select a small number of children in each age range. We would like to include some children from diverse ethnic backgrounds or low socio-economic status or children whose parents have not had more than a high school education (or attained a Bachelor's degree). However, all qualified applicants will be considered, regardless of background. We expect to complete the study by April.

There is no charge for the IQ test. Valid IQ scores will be available to the parents early fall. Selected children 4 and over will receive $40; children under 4 will receive $20 from Pearson.

Testing sites include Denver, CO; Omaha, NE; Dallas, TX; Los Osos, CA; Palo Alto, CA; St. Louis, MO; Gulf Breeze, FL; Des Moines, IA; Wells, ME; and Dover, NH.

This is an IQ TEST ONLY. There is no interpretation, report or recommendations. If you need a comprehensive assessment for your child, please contact the Gifted Development Center to schedule this service.

If you believe that your child is a good candidate for this study, please download and complete the following three forms:

Abbreviated One-Page Developmental Questionnaire

Characteristics of Giftedness Scale

Overexcitability Inventory for Parents

Please FAX the forms with IQ test results (if your child has had previous testing) to Lauren, Customer Service, Gifted Development Center, 303-831-7465.

If your child is not selected as a participant in the study, we will offer $50 toward a consult to the first 50 families who submit the completed forms.

Thank you in advance for your enthusiasm and for sharing the information so quickly. Please continue to send children our way that you believe would qualify for this important study. Our previous research enabled Pearson Assessments to establish extended norms on the WISC-IV.With your help, the WPPSI-IV can become an excellent tool for locating highly, exceptionally and profoundly gifted children for early entrance to kindergarten and selection to gifted programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to help with the extended norms they are looking for. I would love for the WPPSI to give more information at higher levels. We waited until dd turned 6 specifically because of the ceilings on WPPSI. If you can help please do. It could make a huge difference in the lives of young kids.

My youngest is too old by a few months for this to work. I would guess they would have taken him otherwise. He meets the other criteria without any problem.

Has anybody heard back on this yet?

They just opened up the criteria for anyone who thinks their child may be highly, exceptionally, or profoundly gifted to apply.

If your child is chosen, I imagine you'd hear from them soon. Our tester called us last Friday and my son was tested yesterday. I know my son was the first child using this test for our particular site & tester. Just be prepared, if your child is chosen, the test could potentially take a very long time. My five year old spend a little over four hours yesterday being tested with only a few short breaks. Because it's not the final version of the test, it's a lot longer than a typical test. Even our tester (who's quite experienced with testing gifted kids) was a bit shocked at how long it took.

Edited by Rachael

If your child is chosen, I imagine you'd hear from them soon. Our tester called us last Friday and my son was tested yesterday. I know my son was the first child using this test for our particular site & tester. Just be prepared, if your child is chosen, the test could potentially take a very long time. My five year old spend a little over four hours yesterday being tested with only a few short breaks. Because it's not the final version of the test, it's a lot longer than a typical test. Even our tester (who's quite experienced with testing gifted kids) was a bit shocked at how long it took.

Wow! :eek: Crazy! I wonder if it'll be that long for the little guys? Wasn't it age 2.6 or something for the youngest?

It is unlikely (but possible) for a two year old to go that long. In order to stop a subtest you need to hit a stop condition. That is usually a certain number of questions incorrect or running out of questions to ask. If your child answers a lot of questions correctly then getting to the stop condition can take a long time. Sometimes very very long.

It is unlikely (but possible) for a two year old to go that long. In order to stop a subtest you need to hit a stop condition. That is usually a certain number of questions incorrect or running out of questions to ask. If your child answers a lot of questions correctly then getting to the stop condition can take a long time. Sometimes very very long.

Jenne's right. The stop condition on this test is 5 wrong answers in a row. My son never got more than two in a row wrong so he was asked every single question on every single subtest. That said, he did enjoy the test overall, but he started getting a bit antsy near the end.