Menu

O-G Based Reading Programs for Homeschoolers

I use Barton Reading and Spelling. http://bartonreading.com/ It's scripted and the training dvd come with each level. There is a screeing on the website before starting the first level. I love this program for several reasons, but one is because that screen helped direct us to a program that my ds needed to remediate his phonemic awareness problems. (That was LiPS). Barton is very slow and methodical--and it gets results! It teaches to mastery before moving to the next level.

There are several other O-G programs that homeschoolers can use. Wilson is another one. I know there are more, but since I'm not familiar with all of them, I won't name them. Some programs (like Spell to Write and Read) are based off of O-G but aren't fully O-G programs. (That particular program tries to do several things all at once, which can be too much for some children with dyslexia.) Some programs are truly are O-G programs (like Barton and Wilson) but some programs just use portions of it.

Thank-you Ladies...

Here's a list of O-G programs from the Bright Solutions' website. (I believe that Susan Barton runs that website. It contains tons of good information about dyslexia.) http://www.brightsolutions.us/

I love this website. My 6th grader has had a Wilson tutor since 2nd grade. Every summer involves 4 weeks of tutoring, 4 hours per week.

My DD just turned 4, and I'm HS'ing her. She knows a majority of her letters and is sounding them out properly. I thinking ahead at present, hoping she doesn't experience the issues her older brother has dealt with, and trying to figure out how to manage any difficulties. I need a magic ball...

Thank-you Ladies...

I love this website. My 6th grader has had a Wilson tutor since 2nd grade. Every summer involves 4 weeks of tutoring, 4 hours per week.

My DD just turned 4, and I'm HS'ing her. She knows a majority of her letters and is sounding them out properly. I thinking ahead at present, hoping she doesn't experience the issues her older brother has dealt with, and trying to figure out how to manage any difficulties. I need a magic ball...

If you are working with a four year old, you might want to look at LiPS (by Lindamood-Bell and sold by Gander Publishing). It's not O-G but it strongly develops those foundational phonemic awareness skills and it is very well researched. Barton is great, but it's not recommended for four year olds. My six year old shows some of the early warning signs for dyslexia, so I started with LiPS when she was pre-school aged, then we moved onto Barton just after her sixth birthday. She's almost through level two. (Lucky me--I already had all these materials since I used them for my ds.)

There's a great deal of overlap between the later portions of LiPS and the first few levels of Barton. LiPS isn't nearly as scripted, but that leaves you room to make it more personalized for your pre-schooler.