Menu

Are movies supposed to look strange with blu-ray?

So, we finally caught up with the rest of the world, and we got a flat screen TV and a blu-ray player for Christmas.

Now, our movies have lost that 'magic' feeling. Right now we're watching

Harry Potter, and something about it just looks "cheesy". :confused:

Is there anything we can do to make it look 'normal' again?

No, it shouldn't look cheesy. Is your "sharpness" or brightness set too high?

:iagree:

Most flat-screen sets come with the brightness, chroma (color saturation), and sharpness set way too high. It is done impress the uninitiated with "vivid" pictures, but it is quite unnatural.

Play around with reducing these in the set up until you get a more naturalistic look.

Bill

You may also have the refresh rate too high. Check to see anything that makes it display at 120hz or 240hz ought to be turned off. It makes movies look smooth and eliminates motion blur. It is fine for video games and sports, but movies are supposed to be viewed at 60hz. Our eyes and brains are used to seeing motion blur on films, and without it, a movie looks like cheesy video.

You may also have the refresh rate too high. Check to see anything that makes it display at 120hz or 240hz ought to be turned off. It makes movies look smooth and eliminates motion blur. It is fine for video games and sports, but movies are supposed to be viewed at 60hz. Our eyes and brains are used to seeing motion blur on films, and without it, a movie looks like cheesy video.

:iagree:

When my neighbor bought their TV, they had Geek Squad come to set everything. There was something about her picture that would drive me nuts while watching it. When we got TV, a few months later...we set it up ourselves, and the picture was fine. After watching a show at the neighbors one day, I wanted to figure out what the difference was. I played around with the settings to recreate the neighbors picture. It was over a year ago, but I am pretty sure it was the hz setting (Motionflow on Sony Tv's.). I left it on to see if my DH would notice, and right away he wanted to know what I did to the TV.

HTH