Menu

Lost music with itunes upgrade--Help!

So, I updated itunes and the software for my ipad as well. All the music that I have downloaded via CD is missing. From my ipad. From my computer. The folders are there, but there is no music. Everything that is an mp3 or mpeg is still there. Most of the music in my itunes library is lost, and itunes cannot locate the files. I'm hoping some of you can feel my panic. I mean, all my SOTW audios are gone, my classical conversations CDs .....you get the picture.

Called Apple. They are playing dumb and want to charge me to help me TRY to find files that their software upgrade destroyed. :glare: Yeah, not happening. Can anyone help me? Really should have backed up the music, to an external hard drive, huh?

I have already looked in my recycle bin, but it's not there. Any more ideas. The good news is that I have not yet updated the ipod touch, so in the meantime, I have everything there. The only reason I updated is so that I could upgrade my apps, some of which required the new operating system. Can't win. HELP ME! This is obviously seriously standing in the way of getting school done today. :lol:

Paula

Have you personally looked in the folders on your computer, not via iTunes?

When we upgraded, ours did this and iTunes couldn't find anything. We had to go out of iTunes into the folders ourselves and physically click on and open every.single.song. one at a time in order for iTunes to remember where it was. I couldn't be in iTunes doing this, it would just show the folder empty or say "song not found" or whatever. But if I backed out into those folders through My Computer and opened each folder and double clicked on each song, they were there.

If the songs really aren't showing up even when you do that then I have no idea; can you search your hard drive? Maybe they got moved??

I hope you find them! I know the sort of panic that this creates.

Thanks for the reply, but they are not in the folders at all. I mean the folder is there that says SOTW 3, but there are no files within the folders. And these folders are outside my itunes library. I even opened windows media player. It can't locate the files either. I have searched the computer for specific names, but it has been unable to locate them.

We are talking about 40-50 CDs here. I have a hard time believing they have just vanished....but where are they?

Thanks for the reply, but they are not in the folders at all. I mean the folder is there that says SOTW 3, but there are no files within the folders. And these folders are outside my itunes library. I even opened windows media player. It can't locate the files either. I have searched the computer for specific names, but it has been unable to locate them.

We are talking about 40-50 CDs here. I have a hard time believing they have just vanished....but where are they?

Oh, that really stinks!

Maybe a computer store can help you retrieve the files for less than Apple wants to charge?

Have you only texted/chatted with Apple, or actually called them? We had a different issue and had to call and while the website said we'd need to pay to talk to a live person, they didn't actually wind up charging us.

I do hope you find the files; in our case we didn't even have the CDs any longer to reload from so I really do understand the panic it can create. Best wishes!