Menu

Abeka or Heart of Dakota?

MitchellMom

My son is almost finished with his kindergarten material (Abeka) and ready to move on to first grade. The only problem is, I can't decide whether to continue with Abeka or do Heart of Dakota. I used HOD with my dd when she was 4 and loved it (for the most part). I want to try it again, but at the same time I want to stick with what my son knows - and what he will use if we ever decide to enroll him in the Christian school that my daughter attends. (The school uses Abeka.) Can any of you offer a few pros and cons and your opinions? :)

Thanks!

You would get the Economy Package (Teacher's Guide and history), science, devotional, music cd and one of the read aloud book packages. And if you need them, and aren't using Abeka's readers, you could get the emerging reader package too.

Thanks! I added the first items to my cart. But were are the "read aloud book packages?" Is it the three options toward the bottom - the classics, the boy interests, and the girl interests? (If so, which do you think a 6 year old boy would like best?)

I guess we will be using Abeka readers (you mean the books like Fun with Pets, Tiptoes, Stepping Stones, etc., right?). If I decide to use HOD readers, do I need to buy another teacher guide for the emerging readers (Owl at Home, Frog and Toad All Year, etc.)? Or is the schedule in the Beyond teacher guide?...

Thanks SO MUCH for your advice!!!!!!!!!!

We liked a mixture of read alouds from all three sets.

Our absolute favorites:

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Sword in the Tree

The Trumpet of the Swan

Follow My Leader

In Grandma's Attic

My flop was Pagoo and the kid's flop was The Railway Children.

My suggestion would be to pick and choose according to both of your tastes.

Enjoy HOD!