Menu

Skip R&S English 2?

jenni33

Okay, so leaning towards HOD Bigger Hearts for my 8 year old dd, and we are using BJU English 2 with FLL Year 2 this year. While she can understand everything, there's not much retention here. Since Bigger Hearts has lessons for R&S 2, would I have to use that, or could I skip ahead for R&S 3? I hate to go through another 2nd grade English text, but I want to make sure we are covering what needs covered.

Will there be any important skills covered in R&S 2 that she will need that are not covered in R&S 3? I have heard that R&S 2 could be skipped altogether, but wondering everyone's opinion.

We are doing 2 now, my sob had not atudied grammar. It is very repetitive. If you bought the tests, you could have her do some of those and see off she knows the material. If she does decently, you could probably do 3. I have flipped through it. I think it has good review and building on past concepts.

I think the tests are just a couple of dollars.

R&S3 reviews the grammar concepts that R&S2 has, and it moves a bit faster. You can absolutely skip R&S2. I think they didn't used to even have the grade 2 book?

If you get in there and it moves too fast, just get the grade 2 book, and you'll already have the grade 3 book for the next year. ;)

For retention, make sure you're doing the daily review in the TM. And if you still have trouble with retention after another few months to a year, I'd switch to a different program.

R&S 3 can be used without every using R&S 2. R&S 2 is very, very, very, very simple. I use it a couple of times a week starting in 1st grade, with the goal of finishing it by their 3rd grade year (I don't place a high priority on grammar in K-2, so it's often the first thing to go on the busy weeks). My 2nd grader (just turned 8) and I can do 4-5 lessons in 20 minutes without issue (we do it all orally). I would recommend skipping R&S 2 since your child is 8--I think they'd be bored out of their mind with it. My older 2 started in R&S 3 without any formal grammar when they were in 3rd & 4th grades and did just fine.