Menu

Possible supplements to Saxon Alg1?

I know in my sig...it says dd13 Alg1, but the truth is we are still working through the end of the Alg1/2. I had hopes of being started on the Alg1 book by now, but we are about a week and a half out, I think.

We love the spiral method of Saxon, it has been very helpful in keeping concepts current in her mind, and repetition has lead to success over time. However, in the beginning of each new concept, she bombs it. I feel like for this dd, the amount of practice problems of the new concept is very insufficient, she needs a little more practice.

What would you supplement with to solve this issue? I was thinking of using LOF Alg 1, as she has liked all the previous LOF books. Would this meet that need, or would it be too much work? Something else?

Another thought. How is she learning the lesson? Are you teaching it to her, or is she watching a video? Either of these is fine, but IMO the best way to learn the lesson is for the student to have paper and pencil in hand and actually write down ALL of the sample problems and work them alongside the text. This really helps to cement it better. If she gets to the practice problems and doesn't know what to do, she should go back and re-work the samples and then try again IMO. It would be nice if Saxon provided a supplement with extra problems - I know they do in some of their texts for some of the more challenging lessons, but they probably figure that you'll be getting lots of practice in the lesson problems. No help for another source, but I do know that dd reads through the lesson working the problems and will re-work them as often as she needs to get it down. HTH