Menu

If I use MUS all the way through....

heidip2p

I am no expert but I am a MUS user who intends to use it through high school with my dd. Their program goes all the way through calculus and that's all the way through. As long as it keeps working, I will keep using it. I am buying a couple very inexpensive MM topical workbooks to suppliment a couple of topics that MUS doesn't cover in early grades (measurement, money) and I feel great about it. This program makes sense to us and the time we've taken for mastery is already showing results. Not everything is for everyone, but we love MUS. Have you watched the videos on MUS web site that review the upper levels of math? They were very encouraging to me. Good luch to you on finding something with longevity for your family!

It is working for us and I plan on using it all the way through. I have read the reviews that say it is not rigorous enough in the upper grades but since my children are not showing any interest in going into a math heavy field I think it will be just fine.

We have used MUS on and off for a several years. It is so easy it often feels too easy. I tend to overthink things....I think. lol

It was working great for us. The kids were doing really well then I upset the apple cart as I thought we needed more. I should have just supplimented with LOF or something. Lesson learned.....again

I have used MUS from Gamma up through Pre-Algebra for my son. He's doing pretty well. The mastery style is perfect for him. I do wish there were more drills in the younger books, for instance, addition, multiplication, etc. However, I will say that when you get all the way through Alpha- Zeta quite a bit of material has been covered. It's not a curriculum that you can just pick out one level and expect to get extreme thorough coverage. However, over time, I believe that the coverage is quite thorough. We are doing pre-Algebra now, and it's pretty intense, especially the Honors lessons. With ds, I intend to use it all the way through pre-Calculus.

Have you looked at the FAQ's on the MUS website? They have a lot of info on there. Here's the link to the FAQ's page:

http://www.mathusee.com/support/faqs/

Edited by jenni33

We have used MUS for years -- about 7 years. I've taught everything from Primer to Algebra 2 -- and some of those two or three times.

We are happy with the results. Our oldest was very successful at the local community college and in her CRMA Certification courses.

I believe MUS teaches a deep, conceptual understanding rather than just memorizing an algorithm.

I'm a believer... :)

We have used MUS for years -- about 7 years. I've taught everything from Primer to Algebra 2 -- and some of those two or three times.

We are happy with the results. Our oldest was very successful at the local community college and in her CRMA Certification courses.

I believe MUS teaches a deep, conceptual understanding rather than just memorizing an algorithm.

I'm a believer... :)

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Can you hear me breathing a huge sigh of relief. :D

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Can you hear me breathing a huge sigh of relief. :D

Good. (that isn't to say there haven't been times when I've doubted and thought that maybe I should try something a little more "rigorous"...but then I'm pulled back.)

Experience tells me that MUS works.

FWIW I don't think there is a math program out there that I haven't read a thread about someone stressing out over whether or not it is thorough and good enough. Even people who use the programs with the absolute best reputations often supplement because they are worried.

I try to focus on moving at the right pace and presenting the right amount of challenge for each of my kids. The "best" isn't the best if it doesn't work out for my kid (or me for that matter and that's a big one, if I can't deliver it and use it it isn't going to work).

Just some more rambling...:lol:

I've had a really lazy, spenttoomuchtimeonline, sorta day today.

This is so true. There are always some that love it and some not so much. Who is that has that quote in their siggy about a curriculum being superior becuase it is getting done as oppose to a superior curr. not getting done. I am totaly not saying that right but I love that quote.

This is so true. There are always some that love it and some not so much. Who is that has that quote in their siggy about a curriculum being superior becuase it is getting done as oppose to a superior curr. not getting done. I am totaly not saying that right but I love that quote.

:iagree: and that is why we're sticking with MUS after slogging through a popular conceptual math curr. that sucked the fun out of math! MUS doesn't work for everyone, but it is working beautifully for us.

We also plan to stick with MUS all the way through. We started with them, it's working well, so we'll keep going with it. I have heard people say that they didn't think it was hard enough as well. Here is my thought on that... If you are using MUS and it is working, meaning they are getting a full understanding of math concepts, then no matter how "hard" a problem is, they will be able to apply their knowledge to complete the problem and do just fine. I am more interested in my kids mastering and applying the concept rather than focusing on the intensity.

Breathe a sigh of relief! If a profession is really calling your child and they need additional math, for whatever reason, they will have the determination to get through it.

I'm planning on sticking with MUS for the duration too. It's the only program I've found that he learns from well and that I can implement well. I figure ANY math that he actually LEARNS at this point is better than beating our heads against a program he doesn't learn from. I think he'll be ready for college math when he gets there (a lot of freshman level classes assume you don't know much anyway), and if not, there will be a remedial class of some kind he can take. My current philosophy is just keeping learning the "next" thing will make better progress than sitting at the crossroad not learning anything because I'm not sure what's the best thing. This is a good thing, and we can do it, so on we go.