Menu

Advice needed on my hand/wrist/arm injury

On Saturday morning I smooshed my hand against the side of my car getting stuff out and moving too fast, essentially I punched the metal with a loose fist. It wasn't super painful immediately, more ached, just assumed I'd given it a smack and didn't worry too much.

On monday evening it started swelling up in the thumb area and around my fingers and one patch on my forearm. I went to the minor Injuries unit on Tuesday morning, the Nurse I saw doesn't think it was broken and was suprised it had started to swell so long after the injury. She advised me to wear it in a sling for 2-3 days and move it gently a couple of times of day. She gave me the impression it was just a knock and would heal fast within the next few days but it has continued to hurt more. I have pain in the middle of my hand, pain in the middle of my wrist in the area were it sort of dips in, a sore swollen thumb particularly the bottom of the thumb on my palm, and pain in my forearm and in my elbow and shoulder.

My hand also feels slow, rather like I've fallen asleep on it and I don't seem to have a fine grip if that makes sense, I can use the whole hand to grip things that are light but I tried to take a needle out of a packet for my dd and couldn't kind of focus the grip onto the item. My whole hand has a slight blue bruise look but is a little better on that front today. I also have double jointed thumbs and on the injured hand my thumb wont bend backwards as normal, I was told it was because of the swelling.

Does this all sound normal for the injury I have sustained or could something have been missed? I am clumsy but bounce well normally so it's rare for me to get properly hurt. I have zero experience of how long these sort of things take to heal. I can't decide whether to go back and get it checked out again or whether I should just continue treating it gently and wait for it to heal?

Edited by lailasmum