Menu

I'm an anomaly ( long)

Dd is going to high school next year she started in ps for middle school.

Last night was curriculum night for parents. She's in GT classes now so she's set up for an intense load of honors level core classes. I think I was the only parent asking about the dance elective, which looked fun and counts as a fine art. The 4 dance classes are unique to this school. Dd has previous studied dance, she likes to move, and despite being identified as GT she's not highly driven. I don't think she needs another class with heavy homework requirements. I got information on tech theatre and guitar to show her as well. Dd likes art and this school has a good art dept., but it is very intense and serious, not so much fun elective material. Dd has lready said she would not continue art in high school.

After exploring dance o talk to a math teacher. All 9th graders who have completed algebra 1 and geometry take algebra 2 honors. I asked about regular algebra 2 and was told that wasn't recommended. If she takes the reg course she can still get to calculus by her senior year. So what's the rush. In the honors track she might get to multivariable calc. Is that necessary in high school. The math teacher admitted he's seeing gaps in basic skills of these adv students--gaps in basic concepts like negative numbers. So why so many people pushing the pace. Anyway, after talking to the teacher I think it will come down to the students. There will be no ninth graders in reg alg2. In the standard level class the students are mostly 11th and 12th.

Somewhat related to all this school intensity, dd and I saw one of her classmates while we were out last weekend. She said " hi " and that was it. When she returned to school the boy reported to dd that his dad quizzed him on who she was AND what her GPA is?! Apparently being GT and the most adv math in their class is not good enough. Creepy.

I' m glad dd is getting challenged academically, but I guess I'm not pushy enough.

Edited by betty

I see that here and at my niece's school. She's taking 5 AP classes this year--I don't think I can list 5 AP classes! LOL

One thing about the "regular" algebra--I would caution against taking it because I'll bet the pace is going to be super-slow, and they may not cover everything she will need in the next class up, if she goes back to honors.