Menu

So is it better to tell your kids the truth

It all depends. I've seen parents share past mistakes with their children in the pretense that it helps teach them a lesson; but I can clearly see that they are almost proud of their past recklessness. Children see into that. I also wouldn't want children thinking "Well, my mom did that, and she turned out okay, so it must not be too bad afterall!" So, there is a fine line. I wouldn't try and present my past as perfect or make up lies, but for the most part I don't volunteer foolish things I've done in my past.

It has nothing to do with trying to appear more perfect than I was; it has everything to do with what is truly in my children's best interest to know.

If I really believed it would help one of my children in a very specific situation, I most likely would share.

:iagree: Great post.

We have always been open with our kids. Honesty is always best.

There are a great number of reasons for this, imo.

First, I believe it is faith related.

Second, I think kids feel they can be accepted.

Third, I want them to come to me.

Fourth, I've matured in time. What was important at 12 or 18 is different than what is true in my 30s.

Fifth, kids can learn from the experiences of others, even mom.

:iagree: My teenagers can ask me almost anything and I'll tell them the truth. :001_smile:

I however grew up in a house were my parents pretended to be perfect even though my siblings all knew that wasn't true. :tongue_smilie: