Menu

Dressler Geometry

I've found a couple of inexpensive used Dressler Geometry books but they don't have any answers. How do you teach these older books? Have you found answer keys or do you work all the problems yourself? I'm thinking about possibly using one of these. One is simply called Geometry from 1973, and the other is called Reviewing Plane Geometry from 1950. I'm guessing the first one is what I would want if I choose this path. Of course, we may want to do Solomonivich or something, but he definitely has no answer key. I missed Geometry in high school

Hi Karin,

I was fortunate. My copy of Dressler (1973) that I picked up at a library sale had a solutions key (57 page booklet) tucked inside. Answers only to computational/fill in the blank sort of problems--no proofs. There are no answers in the back of the book as one often finds.

One of the things that I really like about the Dressler text is the section of Always/Sometimes/Never questions at the end of the chapters. There are things like: A median in a triangle __________divides the triangle into two siimilar triangles. These are problems that take thought and understanding of definitions.

There are also lots of constructions in the book which I like. My son and I often discussed these, like the proofs. Frankly your student will not have time to do everything in this book, but there are many problems from which to pick and choose.

Jane

Thanks, Jane, for your information. I'll see about an answer key in case we do this. We may need a tutor or something for the proofs.

Edited to add: I think I"ll pick one up for extra, but will go with the Birkhoff Charon recommended because even though I will buy that new, I can get a teacher's manual and solution guide. It's Euclidean, which has its merits. I like the always/sometimes/never section I saw in the Dressler book and it's very inexpensive.