Menu

LA for 4th grade

3peasinapod

I'm trying to decide what to use for LA for a 4th grader next year.

What I want for sure:

AAS, WWE3, FLL4

I want to add (but know I probably need to pare)

WWW 3 or 4

MCT: Building Language, Music of the Hemispheres, Grammar Island, (?Practice Island)

What works well with what I've got? What is realistic? How much time does that much MCT take and WWW 3 or 4 take? Is it ridiculous to just do the parts of MCT listed above? :001_huh: I want to expand some on writing, thus the WWW. I just love MCT and want to use as a supplement, probably not using regularly. How crazy is it?

Edited by 3peasinapod

I'm trying to decide what to use for LA for a 4th grader next year.

What I want for sure:

AAS, WWE3, FLL4

I want to add (but know I probably need to pare)

WWW 3 or 4

MCT: Building Language, Music of the Hemispheres, Grammar Island, (?Practice Island)

What works well with what I've got? What is realistic? How much time does that much MCT take and WWW 3 or 4 take? Is it ridiculous to just do the parts of MCT listed above? :001_huh: I want to expand some on writing, thus the WWW. I just love MCT and want to use as a supplement, probably not using regularly. How crazy is it?

There is a lot of overlap between those programs. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there are many more years of education and not everything has to be done at once... If you really want to use everything this year, I'd try and double-up on lessons and finish one program early, allowing time for the next one. I could totally see using MCT over the summer (or whenever you finish FLL) for a light sit-on-the-sofa and read together kind of approach?

I haven't found WWW to take an exorbitant amount of time. I'm going to use it next year with Classical Writing Aesop and ditch WWE. This year is pretty much third grade for us and DD is doing WWE, WWW, and the Winter Primer. And it doesn't take too much time, maybe a whole hour a day for all of that.

I'm already using the MCT Island stuff with R&S 3 and Climbing to Good English. DD likes MCT, so we do that two days a week and then the other three days we do R&S and Climbing to Good English. We spend maybe an hour a day on grammar, if that.

I'm hoping to buy AAS 3. We finished 1 and 2. Right now we have R&S Spelling, and I'd rather be back with AAS because I think it is worth it.

I have found that it is helpful to have a strong LA and Math program in the early elementary years to build a sturdy foundation for branching out into deeper waters in science and history down the road. Just my opinon.

There is a lot of overlap between those programs. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there are many more years of education and not everything has to be done at once... If you really want to use everything this year, I'd try and double-up on lessons and finish one program early, allowing time for the next one. I could totally see using MCT over the summer (or whenever you finish FLL) for a light sit-on-the-sofa and read together kind of approach?

That's a great idea! Then I don't have to purchase it all right away, but wait for a bit until summer. I like that.

I haven't found WWW to take an exorbitant amount of time. I'm going to use it next year with Classical Writing Aesop and ditch WWE. This year is pretty much third grade for us and DD is doing WWE, WWW, and the Winter Primer. And it doesn't take too much time, maybe a whole hour a day for all of that.

I'm already using the MCT Island stuff with R&S 3 and Climbing to Good English. DD likes MCT, so we do that two days a week and then the other three days we do R&S and Climbing to Good English. We spend maybe an hour a day on grammar, if that.

I'm hoping to buy AAS 3. We finished 1 and 2. Right now we have R&S Spelling, and I'd rather be back with AAS because I think it is worth it.

I have found that it is helpful to have a strong LA and Math program in the early elementary years to build a sturdy foundation for branching out into deeper waters in science and history down the road. Just my opinon.

Since we do FLL 3 days a week, I thought about doing MCT on the other 2 days, just taking it as it comes, maybe quitting and doing the above advice of over the summer MCT.

The samples don't look like too much a week with WWW, and WWE is a miniscule amount of time so far too.

I think I may just start with either WWW or some of the MCT stuff first, see how it goes, get into our groove and possibly add other stuff then. Thanks for talking it out with me!