Menu

I am working on our master travel plan...

and one of the places that is a high priority for us is China. I have never been there but I would really like to take my kids there from a homeschooling standpoint as well from a "world citizen" standpoint, if that makes sense.

I am thinking that the maximum time there would be 3 weeks and we would probably go in 2014. That said, what would be a good language program for learning a few basics for getting around? And also, what would be a doable itinerary based on our goals? I know this is a REALLY broad question.:001_smile:

We are planning on a 3 month trip to France next year so are trying to work on French at the moment but as I said, I am working on a travel master plan. We have so many places that we want to go, but need to make a plan so that we are achieving our goals and not wandering around, so to speak.

For three weeks in China, I would concentrate on Beijing (five days), Xian (four days) then somewhere in the countryside - preferably somewhere with a different ethnicity (China has many ethnicities, not just the dominant Han). Ideas might be Tibet (depending on how travel is there at that time) or the edges of Yunnan province (some of which is ethnically Tibetan, other areas are ethnically Thai, then there are other indigenous ethnicities). Another idea is the Yangshuo area in southern China - beautiful mountains and mists and bamboo.

In Beijing, I would try very hard to go to one of the less-populated, more wild parts of the Great Wall. They are also tourist spots (check The Lonely Planet guide for ideas) but feel a bit less plastic.

I have no ideas for quick language learning.

ETA: you don't have any life-threatening allergies do you? Deadly allergies are really not understood in China, so travelling there with one could be dangerous.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin