Menu

I want to complain about SL 2's read alouds..

LG Gone Wild

It's too much for me!!!! :svengo: I have to read the history stuff (though I fob this off on ds sometimes, or mostly:tongue_smilie:), the geography stuff, the literature stuff, the science stuff (again, I fob this off on ds) and all the religion stuff.

And can I just say that Ginger Pye is a draaaagggggggg but ds loves it.

It's too much for me!!!! :svengo: I have to read the history stuff (though I fob this off on ds sometimes, or mostly:tongue_smilie:), the geography stuff, the literature stuff, the science stuff (again, I fob this off on ds) and all the religion stuff. And can I just say that Ginger Pye is a draaaagggggggg but ds loves it.

Boy, that's a pretty negative reaction! I'm sorry you aren't enjoying it. I love reading aloud, so Sonlight is a great fit for us. And we've thoroughly enjoyed Ginger Pye ~ twice! But certainly, feel free to make changes. Youre the boss!:)

My kids love it so much that we often do two days at a time, finishing a core in 6-7 months.

They're both bummed that this year will probably be our last with Sonlight. My oldest is going to do his own thing after that, so I'm moving my younger one to more independent work as well. Maybe in the summer though...?

If you are dragging with Core 2, I would not suggest you move forward with SL. The reading only gets more intense in Cores 3 & 4. I'm with Colleen, we loved the bks in Core 2. The Red Sails to Capri is one of my favorites along with Ginger Pye and The Twenty-One Balloons. You might look into audio versions of the bks, if you want the read aloud experience, but need a brake yourself.

And can I just say that Ginger Pye is a draaaagggggggg but ds loves it.

OK, I have to agree with you on this one. I very much disliked reading Ginger Pye. It just didn't "flow" for me...not a fun read-aloud in my not so humble opinion. My son enjoyed it though, so I guess that's all the matters? :001_huh:

Guess what? We also didn't like Strawberry Girl! :eek: My son nor I. :tongue_smilie: We gave it a real good college try, honest we did, but when you get halfway through a book and neither of you even CARE to find out what's going to happen next, then it's just time to move on by golly-gosh-darn. So, we are embarrassingly Strawberry Girl drop-outs.

I think I can live with that. ;)

Im enjoying our read alouds for core 1...but some we have already read. The kids are enjoying them. Core 4 is really fun...but I was thinking last night. I love them as they are new and I have no clue what is going to happen. I cant wait to read and find out...now I have to reread them all again in 3 years...ahhhh....I will already know what happens...LOL. :lol: So that will be fun...