Menu

I can drop Latin right?

delaney

We do a "Word of the Day," written on our chalkboard with a definition and sometimes the part of speech. Right now we are working our way through Michael Clay Thompson's 100 Classic Words. When we finish that, we will probably use a book of SAT words that I picked up at a thrift store once. I've seen lists online, too. I think I googled "1000 most common words English" or something like that.

We're doing English from the Roots Up (just the flash cards and homemade journals). I've decided that I don't want to do Latin as a language when we finish the second half of the program. I've been looking at this vocab/latin roots workbook series: http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=vocabulary+from+classical+roots.

I feel like we got so lucky with EftRU, it's been a big hit. We've all learned so much, and there's no stress involved at all.

hth

We stopped and started Spanish. We will do Latin again in 4th grade. We use wordly wise and read a lot and stop to define words when necessary. My guy is only in 1st grade, so I'm not too worried about it beyond that for now.

Edited by Cindyz

I've considered dropping it many times. I have an 11 yo and 9 yo doing Lively Latin. I decided to drop grammar as a formal subject instead. And I cut the Latin down to just two pages per week, per child. I definitely think it can be dropped with no harm though!