Menu

Is anyone here a certified childbirth educator?

I am trying to decide whether I should choose a specific method or just go with the general icea certification. I didn't really go to any classes myself when I was pregnant, but I read through all the different approaches and had 5 births at home. So I feel competent in the experience dept.:D

But I'm just not sure which direction to go as far as teaching/cert.

I also have general questions about how you structure your classes, advertise, etc. but that's further down the road, I realize:D

Jen

You might want to sit in on some classes. Most educators will let you sit in the back and observe.

I personally went with a general certification, although I'm in the process of certification in Hypnobabies. I'd being able to have a general cert because then I didn't have to adhere to anyone else's standards or way of teaching. I can advertise my classes as whatever I want, change the schedule when I want and add elements from other styles.

Good luck with you journey!

I would look at what philosophy suits you best, what kind of support you would have, how you want to get clients, what kind of work environment you want (work for a hospital, for a doctor/midwife, be independent), etc. I agree that you should sit in on classes with different teachers. Most will allow observers. Keep in mind that not every teacher is a good example for every method. I would encourage looking at experienced teachers in each method.

Well, that is a great idea. I hadn't thought to ask if I could observe someone before I made the decision.

I want to work for myself. And I'd like to appeal to wide variety of moms. I did homebirth, but I'm not against hospital birth, etc. I want to be able to educate women on all the potential situations, meds, interventions and all.

My heart is to be able to reach out to women who might not have a lot of support or resources on their own.

Thanks for the feedback