Menu

Science for 4th & 6th grader

momto2Cs

Science for 4th & 6th graders  

1. 1. Science for 4th & 6th graders

• Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding SECOND volume
    • Story of Science, with Student Quest Guide, and science kit(s)
    • Unit studies based on The Way Things Work, Way We Work, Way Life Works, etc.
    • Other recommendations for great science for these ages?

We have thoroughly enjoyed Elemental Science. I have a 4th & 2nd grader, but she is introducing Logic Stage studies, so that would be a better fit for your family.

ETA: Sorry! Misread previously - now see you are trying to stick with books you already have. Sorry!

We are using BFSU Volume 2 with both kids (technically, my younger is also doing NL, but in reality, he gets the bulk of his instruction when we work on BFSU as a family). It has worked very well. Whenever I encounter something younger doesn't understand or isn't familiar with, I simply back up and spend a bit of time on that section of BFSU 1. BFSU 2 has a fair amount of review in it anyway, so younger is fine. It's worked very well. We've made kites as a family, explored the physics of lego cars, and done a lot of nature walks. Both children have science notebooks and it's wonderful to see them working together.

My older daughter and I love Story of Science, but I would probably wait on it. Aside from middle school level math topics, it also gets into some ideas that might be better appreciated at logic stage (like... the relationship between science and religion).

Also, the quest guides are kind of awesome, but kind of too much for our family. A bit classroomy... We started off using them but gave up.