Menu

Singapore Primary Math 3A & 3B -- Do we need the tests?

Sahamamama

Gosh I didn't even realize they had tests available. I use the placement tests online as our end of semester tests. When I feel I may need to check understanding in between I use a page from the textbook as a test since we rarely use the textbook anyhow. Tests actually wouldn't be a bad idea for me though. For my oldest there were times he bombed the end of semester test and left us baffled as to how he got through the workbook! I think he just wasn't retaining (and the placement tests could be kind of hard).

Brownie

No. I did tests in second grade and DS would throw a fit because he already knew the concept so it was one more thing to get through. I've added CWP as well as additional math resources to make sure he understands the concept, but I don't test, except for required standardized testing at the end of the year. We just finished up SM3 and he's doing fine with his understanding.

Another one who didn't know there were tests. Do you feel like you need a test? Just pick and choose some questions from the various lessons. (Also, Stds edition has reviews that could be used as a test if needed.)

Personally thinking that in 3A/3B you 're working w/ your student enough that you know how they're doing.

I did buy the tests for 5 for next year. In the past I've bought the Extra Practice book for those times when I think my son needs more problems than are in the text, workbook, IP. The EP books have some practice but not enough. My plan is to use the test books for those extra practice problems. I don't expect we'll use them often.

The tests have two tests for each section from the text: one multiple choice, one open-ended. Then there's a review test at the end of each chapter.

I didn't realize there are tests available either! We're in 3B and doing just fine without the tests. :)

Another one who didn't know there were tests. Do you feel like you need a test? Just pick and choose some questions from the various lessons. (Also, Stds edition has reviews that could be used as a test if needed.)

Personally thinking that in 3A/3B you 're working w/ your student enough that you know how they're doing.

Where are you finding these tests? I just looked at the Singapore Math website and couldn't find them (for US Edition). I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea for DS.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Mathematics_Tests_3A_STD_ED_p/pmstdtst3a.htm

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Mathematics_Tests_3B_STD_ED_p/pmstdtst3b.htm

No, I don't think we need them, exactly, especially since we have CWP and EP. :001_huh: But she doesn't have formal "tests" as any other part of her curriculum, and in New Jersey we don't have to test in any way. I thought it might be good to introduce a more formal testing experience through these tests. But now I think we'll skip it! :D