Menu

When to buy curriculum

beth83

We are new to homeschooling and I have been doing a lot of research the past year as to what curriculum I want to use. I have my picks ready to go and I am ready to start purchasing for next year. We are on somewhat of a tight budget and I am just wondering when the best time to buy curriculum is.

All of the conventions in our area are during the summer and I really would like to have everything before that, so I can spend the summer planning out the upcoming year. Do you get some kind of discount for buying at conventions? If not, then what is the point of a convention besides the speakers? I would hate to buy everything the last weekend of July and only have a little prep time before the school year starts.

The discounts at the conventions save you shipping, but usually not much more than that if you are buying new. I haven't been to a convention in years, and buy almost everything year-round as I have the funds and find good deals.

If you are unsure about things and can't wait for convention, be sure to pick vendors that have good return policies.

Note that even if you get free shipping at the convention, you might have to pay tax.

I order year round, but I recommend ordering last minute (with time to plan, so your summer planning session is a good idea), because a) you might change your mind with more research, and b) your child may be a different level 6 months from now when you order - hard to predict where they'll be sometimes.

Also, realize that what you choose the first time may include some flops, so if your budget is tight, buy used where possible, so if it doesn't work, you can sell it for the same price and only be out shipping (media mail is your friend). I spent several months planning my son's curriculum before pulling him out of school last January, and then we got started and I realized that there were some things that just weren't going to work. They sounded like a good fit until I used them. I would also suggest setting aside some money, if possible, that is for school use only - you can use that to cover anything you need to replace.

I buy year round as the budget allows and as I can find the cheapest prices. I'll compare Amazon vs. Rainbow Resources vs. Curriculum website to find the best prices and buy accordingly. And, sometimes, it will depend on shipping costs. Usually Rainbow runs a free shipping on purchases of $25+ promotion around and after Thanksgiving. I use Dick Blick art supplies for most of my art supplies unless I can get a better deal at Hobby Lobby/Micheals/Joanns.

If you have specific curriculum choices, then maybe we can help you find the best time of year to buy it.

Note that even if you get free shipping at the convention, you might have to pay tax.

I order year round, but I recommend ordering last minute (with time to plan, so your summer planning session is a good idea), because a) you might change your mind with more research, and b) your child may be a different level 6 months from now when you order - hard to predict where they'll be sometimes.

Also, realize that what you choose the first time may include some flops, so if your budget is tight, buy used where possible, so if it doesn't work, you can sell it for the same price and only be out shipping (media mail is your friend). I spent several months planning my son's curriculum before pulling him out of school last January, and then we got started and I realized that there were some things that just weren't going to work. They sounded like a good fit until I used them. I would also suggest setting aside some money, if possible, that is for school use only - you can use that to cover anything you need to replace.

:iagree:completely!