Menu

Does this look ok for K?

Mommy_of_4

After really evaluating what I was doing with DS. I have decided to slow him down. He wants to do higher level stuff but I think he does not have the maturity to handle it. Planning on starting K in August. Until then we will play around with math and read a lot.

Math: I think we are going to redo Horizons K while using Singapore K Essential as a supplement.

Logic: Lollipop Logic 1

Science: Library and videos on netflix

History: Library and Liberty's Kids on netflix

Skills: 1-100 dot to dots, ABC scissor skills, I Can Cut!, I Can Paste!

Phonics: ETC 3 and 4

Read Alouds: Mr. Popper's Penguins and My Father's Dragon

Anything you would add or not do at all?

Edited by Lynn213220

"Liberty Kids on Netflix"

I had no idea this existed! Thank you for saving my history! My kids aren't really into SOTW 1 so I'm putting it away until next years. They are going to LOVE these videos!

PS I second holding off on WWE.

ETA I think for handwriting you could just do daily copy work. Ex: Today is Wednesday, June 2, 2012. We are having a very warm summer.

Edited by Ruby Sue

Just have him write. Write sentences for him to copy. You cam make handwriting worksheets online for free here. Use poetry or sentences about science or history. You can also get workbooks at Target and Walmart with great activities and they all have penmanship pages.

I would get What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know. It has poetry, short stories, history, geography, and science in it. We would read a lesson in the book and go to the library to find books at his reading level about the topic. It even has some really easy projects. I piled it because it guided our study a little. We spent mo.the on geography because DS loved it. We sped through some of the history after that.

WWE is copywork and narration (foundation for composition).

We've tried many different workbooks for penmanship and in the end realized that unless the dc just LOVES doing that workbook we were able to find plenty of penmanship practice through our other subjects. I've never been one to drill handwriting and I especially don't like my dc feeling that their handwriting must look just like that in the workbook. I've allowed my dc to experiment with different types of font and they have all created their own unique style. The amount of handwriting in ETC will be a good start, and you could add to that by just choosing very simple sentences out of his history or science books for him to copy into a copybook while you sit next to him and make sure that his letters are evenly spaced, uniform in size and slant, and that the mechanics of forming them are correct. Just my .02.:D