Menu

Need help on deciding what musuem to visit

We will begin studying the Renaissance in a few weeks and the first week we need to visit an art museum. I live 20 minutes from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we have gone to PMoA quite a few times for special exhibits, but have never seen the Renaissance art collection. But... we also only live about 1.5 hours (non rush hour traffic :D) away from the Metropolitan in NYC. If we went to the Met we would view a larger collection and we would be able to visit The Cloisters. But, and here the gist of it I'm afraid, going to Manhattan for the day with 3 children, and dealing with traffic and parking doesn't thrill me.

Philly - 40 minutes driving total, reasonably priced parking (maybe even on street), tour in a few hours, go to an inexpensive lunch, home by 3 PM - overall a cheap ($75 total), but maybe a little boring trip because you know what it said about familiarity.

NYC - at least 3 hours driving total, expensive parking, visit two locations, one with spectacular medieval architecture, pricey lunch, home in the evening - more expensive ($200 or so), more exciting, more effort.

What would you do?

and it was way too much for my boys 9 and 5. I would keep this in mind. We did LOVE the armor collection though. In retrospect, I would have just done the Renaissance stuff and went home. We did not go to the Cloisters and I wish we would have seen it. Again, it is a long day.

Of course, it is worth seeing at least once. Its is a beautiful museum. Maybe you could take the Path trains to NY and then the subway to the Met? This would cut down on the driving, although it might cost a little more.

personally, being lazy and with younger kids, I would have gone to philly art museum. The only reason we went to the Met was b/c my brother lives in NY and we could stay overnight with him.

Adrianne

I would do both. but to answer your question, I'd take the train into NYC (either from where you live, or drive to just outside the city to a park n' ride) and pack lots of snacks, etc. in a backpack and plan on just seeing the Renaissance, but if everyone's doing well, see more.

OR, I'd wait until the weekend and just take the oldest and take my time in NYC.

I cannot tell you how much I miss good museums.

Jodi

I went to Penn and I love the Philadelphia Museum of Art, but I also love the Met and the Cloisters.

If you do decide to do the Cloisters, that's enough for 1 day. Don't try to combine with the Met's Renaissance collection or you'll be tired and cranky. The Cloisters is medieval art not renaissance so I guess it depends on if this is your wrap up or kick off activity.

If you want to do renaissance art, I'd stick with Philly for now. It will have enough without being overwhelming.

I'm really jealous, Houston's museums are okay, but it's not Philadelphia or New York.

We are far, far away in Denmark. I would definitely say go for the Metropolitan in NYC. I do remember debating whether to go into London on a train with a new born baby for a day trip. it worried me for a good while and it turned into a wonderful day with people only too happy to help.

Have a wonderful time. Oh, and go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art the next week too. Make the most of everything.

If you do decide to do the Cloisters, that's enough for 1 day. Don't try to combine with the Met's Renaissance collection or you'll be tired and cranky. The Cloisters is medieval art not renaissance so I guess it depends on if this is your wrap up or kick off activity.

The Met offers a two for one ticket if you visit both in one day and it's my cheap side that thinks this is a good idea. :o

Maybe you could take the Path trains to NY and then the subway to the Met? This would cut down on the driving, although it might cost a little more.

The only problem with this is that it makes the day even longer.

personally, being lazy and with younger kids, I would have gone to philly art museum.

I'm lazy too. ;)

I would do both.

You may have something here Jodi. Maybe I'll go to Philly in Feb and save Manhattan for April when we end the unit. The days will be longer and warmer, thereby chasing the lazies away a little.

I cannot tell you how much I miss good museums.

Come back to NJ Jodi!

We are far, far away in Denmark. I would definitely say go for the Metropolitan in NYC. I do remember debating whether to go into London on a train with a new born baby for a day trip. it worried me for a good while and it turned into a wonderful day with people only too happy to help.

Have a wonderful time. Oh, and go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art the next week too. Make the most of everything.

You're right, I'm probably making it out to be more trouble than it would turn out to be. Thank you.