Menu

Trouble with VT Algebra

My ds12 completed RS Math thru Level E, LOF thru Decimals & Percents, and is currently working simultaneously thru RS Geometric Approach and VT Mod B (after finishing Mod A).

We have been frustrated, here and there, with gaps in the instruction. The most recent example is: VT Mod B Unit II Lesson 5, problem 9. In order to understand this problem, we referred to a separate algebra source on word problems, which taught the term "total minus".

This has happened many times and ds has been asking for a different curriculum. When I go through it with him, I see the cause of his frustrations, and am inclined to "jump ship".

I have loved RightStart for my kids. I have grown to trust Dr. Cotter - and she recommends VT wholeheartedly because it is as conceptually strong as RS. But

I have been wondering if this is not really so.

I need an algebra curriculum that is comprehensive and teaches concepts, not just algorithms.

What has been your experience with VT? Also, we don't necessarily need a video program. What other curricula would you suggest I look into?

Thanks for reading this and for help.

My dd#1 finished VT Algebra last year and is currently doing VT Geometry Module E. VT is all about teaching concepts. The algorithm is taught but only after the lessons have built the foundation for it.

There are some logical leaps in VT Algebra that my non-logical dd had trouble connecting. And I had to consult Purplemath.com a few times. But other than that the instruction was good. Is he using the video, the course notes, and the instruction in the student worktext?

My dd#1 finished VT Algebra last year and is currently doing VT Geometry Module E. VT is all about teaching concepts. The algorithm is taught but only after the lessons have built the foundation for it.

There are some logical leaps in VT Algebra that my non-logical dd had trouble connecting. And I had to consult Purplemath.com a few times. But other than that the instruction was good. Is he using the video, the course notes, and the instruction in the student worktext?

Yes, he is using all of those materials. I do think his trouble is with *not* making those logical leaps. To be honest, some of them seem to be a stretch for me, too. He says VT doesn't give him enough examples. Ideally, I like my dc to have to dig for answers....At the same time, ds is possibly being turned off to math, after experiencing so much success and confidence via RS. Not sure what to do.

I haven't heard of purplemath.com before, but I'll check that out. Thanks.

Yes, he is using all of those materials. I do think his trouble is with *not* making those logical leaps. To be honest, some of them seem to be a stretch for me, too. He says VT doesn't give him enough examples. Ideally, I like my dc to have to dig for answers....At the same time, ds is possibly being turned off to math, after experiencing so much success and confidence via RS. Not sure what to do.

I haven't heard of purplemath.com before, but I'll check that out. Thanks.

I completely understand your concerns. I do know that dd got a good grasp of algebra using VT but it may not work for someone else.

Purplemath was a huge help at times though. Definitely check it out.

We tried VT - ended up selling it on eBay. My daughter did not like it at all and I decided not to save it for my younger daughter who seems to excell at math. We found it to be very boring...and did not like all the different books to flip through...

:iagree:

We tried VT - ended up selling it on eBay. My daughter did not like it at all and I decided not to save it for my younger daughter who seems to excell at math. We found it to be very boring...and did not like all the different books to flip through...

Thanks for stating your experience. What did you use instead, assuming it's working well for you? Also, what did you do leading up to this choice? Why are you happy with it, etc? Thank you, chirowife.

To others: I am considering Dolciani, after reading other threads. I am really hoping someone who loved RS will give input as to what they chose other than VT, and why they didn't use VT.

Thanks, everyone!

She is currently using TT (teaching textbooks)for geometry. We used TT for Alg 1 as well. I know some people think that program is too easy but she was only in 7th grade for algebra 1 and it worked well for her. She wanted to stay with it for geometry in 8th grade. I feel it did give her a good solid understanding of algebra. She was helping a friend this year who is using Saxon Algebra 1 and my daughter had no problem explaining the concepts to her friend so I feel she must have learned and retained the information from last year.

My daughter is very bright and math has always come easy to her but she just doesn't like the subject. TT has made it somewhat enjoyable for her so that has made my life easier too! We plan to stay with TT all the way and then she can take some advanced math at a college level if she chooses to go that route.

Good luck! I stress over curriculum choices all the time - especially with high school coming on strong next year!

We are former RS users but only through Level C. Have you asked on the RS forums what an alternative course would be if you don't want to use VT? Perhaps other RS users have experienced similar concerns with VT and can direct you accordingly. :)

I have not used VT but am planning to with dd10 when she gets there.

My only constructive comment on this thread is that I don't think it's a negative to have a second or third resource in which to look up information/examples/extra problems if your ds is not getting it in VT. I don't think any one program is going to explain everything perfectly for everyone. Using a variety of sources seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Tara

Thank you, everyone, for your input. We have been using, since middle of Mod B, another text for Algebra word problems by Mildred Johnson. That is what has kept us with VT. Maybe we'll stick with this, but it would be nice (even so) to add another strong program.

My kid is not mathy but was enjoying it, is willing to work at it, and I want to keep it that way. The fewer books we have to flip through, the better. I really don't like how often we have to reference the word problem book. In fact, it's to the point where he is "warming up" with the problems there, before doing VT.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. We have been using, since middle of Mod B, another text for Algebra word problems by Mildred Johnson. That is what has kept us with VT. Maybe we'll stick with this, but it would be nice (even so) to add another strong program.

My kid is not mathy but was enjoying it, is willing to work at it, and I want to keep it that way. The fewer books we have to flip through, the better. I really don't like how often we have to reference the word problem book. In fact, it's to the point where he is "warming up" with the problems there, before doing VT.

My dd16 actually only uses the video lesson and the student textbook. Only if she had a problem did she reference the Course Notes. So there was no flipping between books.