Menu

Allergy or something else?

My son has had an issue with reflux and constipation for almost 2 years. He was tested for food allergies when he was 2.5 or so and everything came back "normal". He has also been tested to make sure that he doesn't have any stomach/track issues and those have also come back normal. He is no longer on his reflux meds (has been off for almost 6 months) and the other condition is being treated and is under control.

The problem?

He still has periods of time that he throws up for no known reason (usually when eating cheese pizza or pasta).

He REFUSES to drink milk although will eat cheese and ice cream.

I don't know if he needs to go back on the reflux meds or if I should ask for a reevaluation of the food allergies. I just feel that there is more to this problem. Anyone have experience/advice with this issue?

I would cut out all dairy promptly. It is super easy to cook dairy free. Rice Milk can be used in recipes (except pudding). And Rice Dream makes delicious ice cream for a sweet treat.

My dd exhibits some of those same symptoms you mentioned and more, yet she tested non-allergic to dairy. However, once we cut dairy out of her diet, she is WELL. All the time. : )

My dd still has some reflux, but it is manageable with zantac.

I've read that with food allergies you can have false negatives with blood tests and even with skin tests. The true test is a food challenge. Your son's reactions sure sound like a dairy allergy to me.

My son has a dairy allergy.

I'd cut out the dairy.

Actually, I would not be thinking food allergy based on what you described.

Vomiting in kids can indeed be caused by reflux. Reflux with constipation here was due to delayed gastric emptying/sort of a very slow system. Especially if you saw reflux improvement with the constipation treatment I'd be thinking the two are connected for your child too. Also delayed emptying or just reflux can cause vomiting all on it's own.

My constipation/reflux/random vomit kid doesn't have food allergies. Also, random vomiting sometimes with some foods but not other foods that share same allergens (ie pasta but not bread, cheese pizza but not ice cream) isn't consistent with my experience with food allergies in my other child. At any rate without other food allergy symptoms I don't think allergy testing is going to show anything. Therefore, my instinct is that the GI system issues being responsible for the vomit stuff.

Edited by sbgrace

Allergy testing for children under the age of 3 can be unreliable. DD has similar problems and always has she now tests allergic to wheat, corn, rice, nuts, peanuts, eggs and red pepper. She is also being tested for Celiac. At 2 she only tested positive to eggs, but it was obvious the other foods bothered her system. We also went to a gastronologist..

Actually, I would not be thinking food allergy based on what you described.

Vomiting in kids can indeed be caused by reflux. Reflux with constipation here was due to delayed gastric emptying/sort of a very slow system. Especially if you saw reflux improvement with the constipation treatment I'd be thinking the two are connected for your child too. Also delayed emptying or just reflux can cause vomiting all on it's own.

My constipation/reflux/random vomit kid doesn't have food allergies. Also, random vomiting sometimes with some foods but not other foods that share same allergens (ie pasta but not bread, cheese pizza but not ice cream) isn't consistent with my experience with food allergies in my other child. At any rate without other food allergy symptoms I don't think allergy testing is going to show anything. Therefore, my instinct is that the GI system issues being responsible for the vomit stuff.

He's been tested for the delayed emptying and it came back normal. My concern comes that he'll be fine for long periods of time (weeks/months) and then we'll go through a day to a week of vomiting. And it's usually when eating pizza or pasta.

What is usually on the pasta?

All allergy testing can provide false negative, and false positive results. Testing is just a piece of the puzzle.

When ds was very little, he tested just mildly positive to dairy. Not long after that test, he had an anaphylactic reaction, and subsequent testing was negative. Fast forward a few years, he had an in office food challenge and passed, but his tests went back to positive.

What is usually on the pasta?

All allergy testing can provide false negative, and false positive results. Testing is just a piece of the puzzle.

When ds was very little, he tested just mildly positive to dairy. Not long after that test, he had an anaphylactic reaction, and subsequent testing was negative. Fast forward a few years, he had an in office food challenge and passed, but his tests went back to positive.

Usually red sauce and Parmesan