Menu

Need help for my visual learner with dividing decimals

my2boysteacher

I'm having a hard time teaching him division of decimals such as:

1 / .04

We are using MM5, and I for the first time we are finding her explanation lacking.

He thinks that since you are dividing, the answer has to be less than one.

I'm having a hard time 'showing' this, as I'm not a visual person.

Does anyone have any resources- websites, books, hands on manips, that might help him understand this?

Thanks!

ETA: NOT using long division

Edited by my2boysteacher

FWIW, I love love love MM5, and wouldn't trade it for anything, but this is the one lesson that I had a problem with. So, no, you're not crazy. (I'm sorry I don't remember how I ended up teaching it.)

Thanks for sharing, that is good to know. I was worried maybe he was going to 'hit a wall' at this point, but I think we'll move on and try not to worry about it.

Up until now, the directions have been so good, I kept looking back in the text thinking I must have missed a page that explains how to do it. :lol:

You might want to re-word it to be "how many 0.04s are in 1?"

What Momling said. You can create scraps of paper with "0.04" on them and count up to 1. This way your student can see the number of 0.04s required to make 1. I would keep a running tally: 0.04, 0.08, 0.12, 0.16, until you reach 1.00.

What Momling said. You can create scraps of paper with "0.04" on them and count up to 1. This way your student can see the number of 0.04s required to make 1. I would keep a running tally: 0.04, 0.08, 0.12, 0.16, until you reach 1.00.

Errr... yeah! What ErinE said... :001_smile: (I wasn't paying attention to the actual numbers...)

Definitely think fractions should come before decimals/percents. Several math programs I have seen this is their sequence. We you MUS and like the blocks. They don't use them everyday, but each new lesson if they aren't getting it, we use the blocks, fraction overlay and they are able to visualize the problem. This helps a tremendous amount for my children.