Menu

S/O of Studying Sciences Similanteously Thread

(I cannot spell that word. ;))

Anyway...how does one do that? Meaning what curriculum do you use? How do you keep track of each subject? What math do you use to be on track with science? Do you drop or lessen the emphasis of history/geog to make time for science? What early age prep do you do?

I would love to do this with my younger crew. Currently, they are just in K/1st using MP plans and R&S Math. Is this enough?

Thanks!

Are you talking about doing chemistry, biology and physics all in one year? If so take a look at Galore Parks Junior Science books. They teach all three sciences each year.

We are using Aha!Science as a spine for 6th and it covers all three as well.

Prentice Hall sells individual topic books that would make mixing and matching easy.

Other than those suggestions I imagine you could just choose your curricula provider and purchase the chem, bio and physics books and then just go through 1/3 of each, each year for 3 years.

Not sure how you would tackle that for highschool though since so much of your science at that level is going to depend on if you've had the math necessary. Hopefully someone will chime in on that for you.

BFSU. We love this curriculum. It is arranged so you study four "threads" of science at once - so you do one or more lessons in one thread, then move to the next thread, etc. It is a combination of structured and inquiry-based science. We don't spend any more time on science using BFSU then we do with other science programs.

I had asked about this before-- and got a few replies where they simply chose 2-3 different curricula books (say-- Biology and Chemistry) and did they each every day and just moved on like that. It seems 1 person (Laura Corin maybe??) said that her oldest did 3 sciences a year in the school he is in?? Its been a long time- but I will go and see if I can find that!

ETA: Found it!! My science plans have changed since then :D Here it is. There is also another link to a science thread- but I didn't click on it to see what thread.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

...Meaning what curriculum do you use? How do you keep track of each subject? What math do you use to be on track with science? Do you drop or lessen the emphasis of history/geog to make time for science? What early age prep do you do?

I would love to do this with my younger crew. Currently, they are just in K/1st using MP plans and R&S Math. Is this enough?

Thanks!

Last year (9th grade), my oldest took AP Physics B at our local p.s and Honors Chemistry with ChemAdvantage (they are not offering that class this year.) The chemistry class used the Chang textbook, and the physics class used College Physics by Serway (wouldn't recommend it).

In order to be prepared to double-up on science classes early in high school, in my opinion, it is important to make sure your kids develop strong math problem solving skills. In the elementary years, my kids focus on math, reading and writing skills. Science and history take a back seat.

Prior to the start of 9th grade, my son had completed Alg. I, Alg. II., Geometry, and two discrete math classes.