Menu

Which Shakespeare Book?

NotAVampireLvr

We've been loosely following the Ambelside literature selections for a couple years (even though we weren't homeschooling) Anyhow, I've been avoiding the Shakespeare books for a while...

Which Shakespeare retelling did you use?

Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare or Tales From Shakespeare? This is for my 7 y.o. first grader.

I don't know whether these are on the AO accepted versions for Shakespeare but I've got to say that the Coville books were some of the most vibrantly illustrated versions I'd seen.

I plan to use those with my 8 year old boys this year for their enjoyment.

For working through the plots (with a little of the original language) I found a copy of Geraldine McCuaghrean's Stories from Shakespeare. The book has a number of plots including Henry the Fifth, Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Macbeth and the Tempest, which I had never read, and really enjoyed the plot outline. So now I've got to go get the play.

I don't know whether these are on the AO accepted versions for Shakespeare but I've got to say that the Coville books were some of the most vibrantly illustrated versions I'd seen.

Agreed.

I have to say that neither of my kids liked either Beautiful Stories or Tales From Shakespeare. They found both of those versions simplistic and not especially faithful to the originals.

My son, though, really enjoyed the Coville illustrated versions.

Honestly, we just started taking our kids to live versions of the real thing pretty early in their lives and kind of skipped the re-tellings.

DS1 is pretty picky about reading and I have to be careful not to get things over his head or under his level or his eyes just glass over and he comprehends nothing.

Another good reason to look at the Coville books. Boys tend to be visual little animals, don't they?

My boys would not have gotten much of anything out of just reading the Beowulf section in SOTW, and they wouldn't have liked the Nye version. But they ate up a lavishly illustrated retelling of Beowulf. And begged for more.

When it comes to little boys I favor illustrated literature as much as possible.