Menu

Advice on math sequence

I am looking ahead for the next two years for my current 10th grader. He plans on majoring in chemistry in undergrad with hopes of going on to medical school.

He will be taking Calculus and Calculus-based statistics before he graduates high school. My question is whether any of you think it would be beneficial for him to also fit in AoPS's Intermediate Counting & Probability class? I know this class would be extremely worthwhile for a student headed into computer science, but I am not sure about a student headed into chemistry.

He has taken the AoPS's intro level C&P and found it extremely useful when he took a Genetics class at CTY a couple years ago. I am wondering if the next level up class in this topic would aid him in his undergrad science studies.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

It probably wouldn't hurt. My husband is a staistician of sorts (has a PhD in it) and says that C&P is more theoretical but that the ideas can be helpful in analyzing data.

Does your son plan to take stats or has he already?

ETA: Duh, I see he is taking stats. In that case, I imagine Intermediate C&P could be helpful to some degree.

Edited by MBM
removed a comma

Now that my husband is sitting down with me at the kitchen table, he says a good stats class/text will devote a portion to counting and probability, so, yes, it would very likely be helfpul.

On a side note, are you familiar with Northwestern U's Honors Program in Medical Eduction (HPME)? My neighbor's daughter did this and loved it. I believe undergrads move straight into med school. I'll link it in case you want to check it out.

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/AWOME/hpme/index.html