Menu

Children with a speech impediment help

Hello all,

My son is 5 and has a lisp. I think it is so cute, but I know I need to help him to talk through it. Has anyone come across a helpful book? Also, my daughter speaks very fast and is speeding up. That is primarily my fault. I speak fast also. But I am usually audible. Again, help? Thank you

Not to dish your parenting or anything, but the reason I speak so quickly is because I spent my childhood trying to spit it out as fast as I could before whoever it was walked off. Maybe she's one of those kids who needs 100% attention rather than the half an ear we often want to donate to kids talk. I'm sure there are other reasons, but with me it is "Me, Me, Please Listen to ME!"

:)

Rosie

Important things to look at when evaluating "s" speech impediments:

*Thumb sucking

*Curvature of the teeth (an "oval" shape with an overbite "gap" that the tongue sticks through)

*Tongue thrust (a backwards swallowing pattern wherein the tongue moves slightly forward before moving backwards to swallow)

*Extremely narrow palate (as in, in need of a palate spreader; the tongue pushes forward because there isn't enough space side to side)

*Some combination of the above

This is why people always say "you need to take your kid to a speech therapist" - because they really are the only people trained to figure out WHY your kid isn't able to wrap their mouth around a given letter. And the approach for "fixing" speech impediments from different origins is, quite obviously, very different.

I had "s" and "r" impediments as a child. They were caused by a bit of everything (though my palate was narrow/medium). Although they were "fixed" by the age of 9 or 10, I had to re-learn the sounds while, and after I had braces because the shape of my mouth changed. And again after I had my wisdom teeth out. Speech impediments are a life long thing when they are rooted in anatomy.

Oh, and they aren't cute once you're teased.

asta

i was reading raising your spirited child and with DD I have tried to give her time to just talk and let it out. I am not sure how well that is going....she doesn't stop. but I am working on DS's lisp. I don't think he has anything wrong anatomically. he puts his tongue on his teeth when he is saying is s'es at the end of sentences. i am working on getting him seen though. when i make him aware of it he corrects it. i am wondering whether he is just lazy and speaking correctly. i did get a little freaked out after that first post though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I read this posting (BELOW) on another site and I bought the download and it really helped my child as well.

After that one helped, I went to the site and found another title called SPEECHERCISE

http://www.kosmicmusic.com/do/product/MP3_Children_Learning_Resources/TNS-10133?&giftStatus=true

that has speech exercises like tongue pushups, slides & circles, and then it has some songs like Little ladies laughed, Pesky Pirates, Royal Red Robots, Silly Sally’s Sister – well you get the point – this one has also helped on a whole different level! I am VERY PLEASED with these products...

Help to cure a LISP thats EZ, cheap & effective

Oct. 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM by jessa.alex

My boy Alex is 6 and has always had a lisp – especially when trying to pronunciate R’s, S’s & T’s. I was bound and determined to correct this problem NOW - I would hate to see him carry this lisp with him into grade school – worse yet, what if it were to continue into adolescence and then into his teenage years! No doubt, a lisp would be cause for other children to ridicule him, bully him, and call him names. There’s no doubt in my mind that it would have a negative affect on his self-esteem.

I looked into taking him to a Speech Therapist, but 1) after seeing how expensive it was, and 2) wondering if THAT in ITSELF would affect his self-esteem as I really didn’t want to make him AWARE of the issue, it was better to try to correct it without him thinking there was something wrong with him and then being too self-conscious to speak aloud during the exercises (or in general!).

So, I searched for products we could first try at home before resorting to a Therapist. I tried a couple of different audio products from doctors & pathologists, but they were really dry & academic and he didn’t enjoy them – and couldn’t understand why he was being forced to listen to them; so that didn’t work at all. Then I found this CD – simply called “Phonics†from http:// [url=http://www.kosmicmusic.com/do/product/MP3_Children_Phonics/TNS-10096?&giftStatus=true%5b/url]http://www.kosmicmusic.com/do/product/MP3_Children_Phonics/TNS-10096?&giftStatus=true and it WORKED GREAT!

He really enjoys the melodies and thinks it’s fun, and through the series of exercises they go thru for each letter, he has DRASTICALLY IMPROVED! He is 99% rid of the lisp! Just to keep things fresh, luckily they have an advanced version also, which I’ll download next week.

I highly recommend this so thought it only fair to share the info!

• 2 weeks later...