Menu

8yo boy writing funny

I recently purchased a Spectrum Writing workbook (yep, I know) to give ds8 a little extra writing practice. He needed more specific, step-by-step instructions. Anyway, here are the instructions for his writing assignment for yesterday:

Imagine you are a scientist or historian who has just found an amazing object. It might be a dinosaur bone or a gold chain, a jeweled bracelet or a stone tool. Write a paragraph about the object or about finding the object. If you wish, you may make up information about where the object came from. (bolding is mine)

And here, after spending 2 weeks learning about writing a paragraph (not to mention the years I have been talking about it), is his paragraph:

Earlier today I found a live T-Rex!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, it's chasing me at the ... Ahhhhhhhhhh! Boy, was that close! It's still pretty awesome, but bye.

:lol:

:lol: Cute. Sounds about right for the 8 yr. old boy mentality!

Boys are fascinating creatures. My 11yo would have written a beautiful paragraph, complete with topic sentence and details. The boy writes about dinosaurs chasing him.:tongue_smilie:

Haha reminds me so much of my guy. He tells crazy stories. He isn't too big on writing as of yet, mostly because his handwriting is dreadful and he is definitely an auditory learner so I let him dictate his assignments while I write.

Here's an example:

"Guitars are awesome. I like stratocasters. I can't wait to get a real electric guitar. Drums! Rock music is cool. When can I play in the band at church? No kids play there! It's not fair!"

Or:

"Spiderman has lots of enemies. One is Electro! He shoots sparks. Shocking people is not good. Spiderman wins every fight though because he's a good guy and Electro is bad and bad guys NEVER EVER win!!! And there is no princess in Spiderman. Because Spiderman is a boy!!!!"