Menu

Good thoughts, crossed fingers, whatever ya got!

Just submitted an application for a service dog for ds. Cross your fingers for us! This group only places dogs locally (German Shepherds) for kids with autism, and I have no idea what the wait time is like.

He is getting really bad about running away from us in public, and I am terrified that he will get lost. He can't speak or respond verbally to his name when called, and he has ZERO danger sense. He has actually been tapped by a car that was backing up in a parking lot, because he ran away and has no sense of danger whatsoever. I am pretty sure I lost ten years off my life that day! Thankfully, the driver heard my shrieking over his radio and stopped *just* in time, as the bumper hit ds. Also, large bodies of water seemingly call his name, and he will run off and climb into whatever he can. He will also willingly go with anyone, which is reason # 287 why his running off scares us.

I am really, REALLY hoping that we will be able to get one placed. DS loves our dog Rosie, but bless her heart, she has very little brain (lab mix, lol) and is not suited to be a service dog. Maybe if I stuffed his pockets with bacon.....hmmm.....

No advice but hoping for the best for you :)! Temple Grandin's book "The Way I See It" includes a section on service dogs for Autism that might give you some valuable info. Check your library.

Oh, I am hoping and praying like crazy for you!!!

Up where I live, there is a brand new program starting for children with autism who are "runners." It involves putting a GPS monitor (bracelet or anklet) on these little ones so when they take off, we can locate them immediately. My ds8 is a candidate for one, so I really understand!!!

I will look for that book tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cindergretta, I have already looked into GPS chipped shoes for ds. The biggest problem (other than him outgrowing them) is that the little booger likes to be barefoot, and he yanks off his shoes first chance he gets. He will also never leave on an anklet or bracelet either. If he keeps this up as he gets older, we might have to see if our vet can microchip him!

Half kidding. ;)

I didn't even know they had service dogs for autism. How marvelous!!! Well I certainly hope you get one. Is there a certain minimum age for it?

And not to be a pest, but have we talked about PROMPT? You said your ds is non-verbal with autism. If there is communicative intent and it's the praxis part holding him back, PROMPT might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9KOMtY-N0 It has been amazing for us. There was a lady who started about the same time as me (me with the nonverbal 2 yo and her with a nonverbal 12 yo with autism), and she's still doing it. I bumped into her but didn't stop to ask how it was going. I don't think by age 12 it's fast, but she must be seeing some progress, at least enough to keep them going for a year. So if you haven't, definitely check into it. The PROMPT website now has a provider locator.

I will look for that book tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cindergretta, I have already looked into GPS chipped shoes for ds. The biggest problem (other than him outgrowing them) is that the little booger likes to be barefoot, and he yanks off his shoes first chance he gets. He will also never leave on an anklet or bracelet either. If he keeps this up as he gets older, we might have to see if our vet can microchip him!

Half kidding. ;)

Well, it wouldn't help in all the ways you need anyway. :grouphug: If he got away from you when you weren't aware, it would help. But it won't help with running off in a parking lot and the like. It wouldn't keep him safe if he got away from you and ran for water, etc. It is more likely to help someone like my ds who wanders away if you turn your back for a second. Then it is a matter of finding him more than a matter of keeping him safe in that instant. :grouphug:

I think a dog would be perfect for your little guy.