Menu

Dysgraphia and Copy Work

Howdy All,

DS is presently sitting in a regular classroom and his grades are very good and hard fought. I'm pulling DS from school for 7th grade because we are exhausted. DS has a reading/writing/math disorder and attends a private Christian school. He studies constantly and I am tired of reteaching at night. The pace is too much and the school receives no Federal funds, so they are not legally obligated to help us. He is accommodated for math (with more test taking time and carries a multiplication chart and calculator), and works with a Wilson tutor twice per week since 2nd grade. He carries an Alphasmart Dana and types many of his assignments (40 wpm) in the classroom. My family provided a printer/copier to the school for my son's use.

I brought DS home 2nd semester 5th grade to teach typing and eventually used rods and other concrete manipulatives to teach DS math alongside the class text. DS hates school, but loves his lifelong friends and band.

I'm looking at WWE/WWS and am wondering whether copy work will actually benefit a child with dysgraphia. Does is matter if the copy work is typed? I need any and all thoughts.

Blessings, Heather

Have you consulted with an occupational therapist? They would be able to give you an idea on how best to work with your child.

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't do copywork if he will be typing. I would continue to have typing instruction unless he is confidently touch-typing.

My daughter does not have dysgraphia, but we believed that she did for a long time. We pay for an OT to come to our house twice a month. She works with dd and leaves 'homework' for us to do. It might be worth having someone for you to consult.

You know what? I read about WWE at the beginning levels but didn't look closely at the WWS and WWE4 samples until now. I'm not seeing any hw practice. Perhaps WWE4/WWS will work for DS.

DS has legible handwriting. The issue for us is that DS doesn't really learn by copy work. The focus is always on the process of writing itself, not the information being conveyed. I picked up the HWT print for older kids booklet, so we can focus on that in the Fall. He's very good with the typing though, and we can't live without a word processor. As he thinks, he types.

The point of copy work is that the student see and re-write work from great literature. It seems to me, whether it is being handwritten or typed should not make a difference. It is also pointing out grammar as well. WWE and WWS are great tools to becoming a writer. I think typing would be just a good.