Menu

Saxon Math vs R&S

tuzor

I am considering purchasing R&S either adding it to our day for a change of pace or replacing our current math program. If you have used both programs can you please chime in. I think I would like to continue with Saxon but break it up with R&S. Any ideas?

I've used Saxon Elementary K-3 several times but have given it up this year in favor of CLE (for my 6yods and 10yods) but I've also switched out my 8yods to R&S. It is perfect for him.

I greatly prefer CLE but because my 10yods is a bit slow in math and my 8 yods is accelerating in math I had to split them up in two different curriculums. My 8yo is doing R&S fourth grade math this year and it has been a perfect fit for him. I do like it better than Saxon but I'm not sure why :) Maybe Saxon is a bit too scripted for me? R&S has very detailed lesson plans but they aren't necessarily scripted and I seem to be able to adapt them a bit easier to my kidlet.

R&S is mastery-based as opposed to Saxon's incremental approach so that is a big change. R&S has lots of review in each lesson which is great.

I've been using the fourth grade text as a workbook though because my little guy was just not ready for all of the writing required. In fact, I usually end up copying the division problems into a notebook for him (there isn't space to work out the problem in the book).

Well, one year I did Saxon during the school year and did parts of R&S during the summer with my youngest. I had borrowed the book from a friend. My youngest hated R&S and was glad to go back to Saxon. I liked the different focus, but never did anymore after that. We always do Saxon during the school year and something else for review during the summer. This year we are trying something different and doing another math program on Fridays.

Linda

Linda, I like doing the other program during the summer only we don't have a summer break. I need a program where I can teach the concept and turn the child loose to do the worksheet etc.

CLE. :)

ETA: I just realized yours was the other thread I was replying to, also. I wasn't trying to be facetious by posting this here, too. I just really like CLE math.

Edited by Mallorie