Menu

Beefing up science suggestions

DragonFaerie

DS is doing a very simple science program this year. We are using the Gray's Anatomy Human Body coloring book and doing a few readings from a human body encyclopedia. The only "work" he really does is to color the pictures when we talk about them.

So now, DD, who is a grade ahead, is jealous. She really wants to study the body, too, and loves his coloring book. I'm okay with letting her learn the same thing as DS and I'm even okay with it being a less-than-ideal curriculum because I am planning to start "real" science with both kids next year. But, I'd be more comfortable if I had some way to beef up the body studies for DD. I'm not into experiments so I don't really want to do that. But I could use some ideas for how to flesh (pun intended! :lol:) it out a little more. Thoughts? Suggestions?

How about using some resources from this human body study? I'm seriously considering using it for next year or the year after. And DD is really interested in doing things like dissecting the cow's eye and sheep's brain. :ack2:

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. For the record, the kids went to a once a month science class today where they got to hold a sheep's heart. DD was totally grossed out! LOL It will be interesting to see how that plays out considering she wants to be a marine biologist. :D

I would add definitions of key words and have them write narrations.

Definitions are a good idea, though I'm not sure how much of a narration she could do. It's very superficial information.

We did this life-size human body project. I think it's available in eBook form now, so you just print off whatever pieces you need. I traced each kid onto BIG paper, then we coloured, cut, pasted the organs from this book. There are simple, helpful readings for each organ and system that are appropriate for a wide range of ages.

They just did a similar project at that monthly science class today. Thanks, though!

I do have a bunch of Speedy Schooling worksheets on my computer. Maybe I can do something with those plus some vocabulary.