Menu

Dd texted me this question about a college major

"Random question, what are the chances a degree in ancient history would be more useful than criminal psychology or music?"

Um, I don't know :tongue_smilie:. IMO, I doubt it would be "useful" unless she got a masters degree and had an actual career path in mind.

My Dd doesn't know what she wants to major in college!!!!

So far in the past two years she has considered physical education/Kung Fu teaching, professional musician, criminal psychology, sound recording technology/engineering, and now something to do with ancient history.

Ugh, she is going to drive me bonkers as she has applied to a few schools for a music program and is to do the auditions in Feb/March and are 800 miles away. I am scraping up the money for her to go to auditions and she isn't sure she wants to major in music. :confused::willy_nilly::001_unsure::gnorsi:

some of the liberal arts schools and the state univ. dd applied to had music scholarships for non-music majors. As I recall, some of them requested recordings but none required auditions, at least at the initial application stage. Maybe her music can eventually be worth some merit money. Long shot--music department that has heard your dd audition could have some positive input into a non-music major scholarship decision?

If she's thinking "what job can I get w/just a bach. degree" then I'd guess the criminal psychology. There's big business in crime (the good guys side, not just the bad guys.)

Music performance (I have a Bach of Music in Voice performance) is a crap shoot. You can do that w/o the degree, but must build your resume.

The history, I'd guess w/o a master's or higher you'd be limited. If she gets the minor in Ed, FL will allow you to teach at the cc level. That would work for music too.

If she's thinking "what job can I get w/just a bach. degree" then I'd guess the criminal psychology. There's big business in crime (the good guys side, not just the bad guys.)

Music performance (I have a Bach of Music in Voice performance) is a crap shoot. You can do that w/o the degree, but must build your resume.

The history, I'd guess w/o a master's or higher you'd be limited. If she gets the minor in Ed, FL will allow you to teach at the cc level. That would work for music too.

This is pretty much what I figured. I am trying to encourage her to attend a junior/community college for a year or two. She is graduating high school a year early and I rather she does her exploring in a less expensive way than attending DePaul University in Chicago-LOL.