Menu

Talk to me about mom taking classes while homeschooling

I am working on my masters in deaf ed through an online program from one of our state universities. I still have to take at least 2 ASL classes IRL and I haven't figured out how I am going to do it yet bc of child care (but mine are too young to stay by themselves and my DH is also in school and working full time). I would do a drop off program one day a week if I could afford it so I could spend some focused time getting my stuff done. As it is, I end up taking my school books everywhere and studying when I can catch a quite moment at the kids' activities. Not ideal, but it is what I have to do. I also don't sleep much.

I'm a mom of 7 as well, but one is in college and one is in her "gap year." I am considering going back to school for an M.Div. in Women's Studies, but I would probably only take one class a semester during the school year and then more during the summer. Really, I see myself taking 7-8 years to finish. Finances are an issue as well, so I don't know yet. We are really just exploring options.

I've always worked and homeschooled, and earned several professional certificates along the way (thankfully employer-paid).

I prefer online classes with flexible due dates (i.e. everything is due by the end of the semester) and no group work. I can pace it then around my family, and I always try to finish early.

Scheduling in-person classes, dealing with group projects, and anything requiring study groups or extra tutoring is harder. I've gone to class with a family member in the ER, and went crazy trying to finish a group project that the others neglected in between my father's funeral and various other events associated with that.

I have to take a class over the summer to meet continuing ed requirements, and I'm not particularly looking forward to it because it is a big juggling act in an already stressed household. Oh well.

I've always worked and homeschooled, and earned several professional certificates along the way (thankfully employer-paid).

I prefer online classes with flexible due dates (i.e. everything is due by the end of the semester) and no group work. I can pace it then around my family, and I always try to finish early.

Scheduling in-person classes, dealing with group projects, and anything requiring study groups or extra tutoring is harder. I've gone to class with a family member in the ER, and went crazy trying to finish a group project that the others neglected in between my father's funeral and various other events associated with that.

I have to take a class over the summer to meet continuing ed requirements, and I'm not particularly looking forward to it because it is a big juggling act in an already stressed household. Oh well.

Thank you for sharing. This is good advice for me as well. I'd SO love to get started, but don't know if it's possible.