Menu

Abridged books

totally bug me. (like totally! Annoying to some but that's how I talk :blush: )

I was at Target today and the dollar spot had a ton of the classics, all abridged for "young readers" :glare: Why can't young readers read the original versions with help FROM THEIR PARENTS?!! I know this is like preaching to the choir but I really do not understand why they have to ruin books like this!

Actually I guess I do. Detroit is all I really have to say don't I? :sad:

:rant:

Actually I guess I do. Detroit is all I really have to say don't I? :sad:

:confused:

I'm completely on board with you about abridged books, but I don't know what you mean by this.

They have them at our Target in SC although that's not much better than Detroit! However, I have to say that I did buy the abridged Moby Dick for my son to read. I'm just being honest with myself. I know I'm not going to read that to my son nor will I make him read the unabridged version on his own. This way, he gets the story and we can talk through the basic themes. I think I skipped over all the rest though because I'd rather he read the whole book. I'm with you 99%, but Moby Dick is apparently where I draw the line! :tongue_smilie:

I generally refuse to read abridged books, or listen to abridged audiobooks. However, I do think Illustrated Classics and the like are fine for young readers who would not otherwise be ready for an unabridged classic. My oldest is 14 and has read most of the unabridged books that she previously enjoyed as abridged versions in earlier years.