Menu

Pre-K writing: HWOT vs. Kumon

eloquacious

I would like to buy some workbooks for my son to complete. I have a gajillion printable curricula (Raising Rock Stars Preschool/Kindergarten, COAH's Letter of the Week, etc.) but I would like to have something nice and bound that I don't have to print. I'm tired of printing and putting things in binders, and frankly I'd like to be able to look back and see how far my son has come.

We were going to do cursive first. I still believe it a superior way to teach writing, but my husband is determined that my sons will be going to the classical charter schools in our area, and they teach a Spalding spin-off (Riggs) which means they'll be learning Spalding handwriting.

Given that, I'd like to prepare him and not confuse him utterly - so I am looking for a traditional manuscript pre-K program, and I'm a little torn between the Kumon workbooks and HWOT's new "My First School Book," the successor to "Get Set for School".

Does anyone have experience with both that would care to comment? I love Amazon's shipping, so I admit I'm tempted more by the Kumon books, but I'm willing to entertain alternatives. :)

We tried a few and settled on D'Nealian K by Pearson (I got it on rainbow resource but you can find it many places). DS did not like HWOT at all and I didn't want to go Zaner Bloser and the D'Nealian is the perfect fit for him. The K workbook is pre-k level and the book is pretty comprehensive!!!! And the $16 was so worth it to save my printer!

I've done both HWOT and Kumon with my 2 boys. Both my boys were trying to write letters by age 3. With my oldest, I used the HWOT orange book, slate, and practice sheets. We had a hard time. BUT when I started teaching my youngest son with the Kumon, I saw the value in the descriptions used in HWOT (dive down, etc). All that said, I will continue using Kumon. I liked the presentation better and it was easier for me to teach with having 2 students at the same table but different levels of learning. My youngest son finished the uppercase and lower case books in 2 months. He loved them. Then he went back and redid them in crayon (he did them originally in pencil).