Menu

Copyright question

Is it against the law, or unethical in some way, to use a picture of a book cover in a Powerpoint presentation?

I'm speaking this weekend at a homeschool workshop, and I'd like to use pictures of several books in my presentation. I will be plugging these books as wonderful resources. Is this against the law?

Blah - having a brain cramp and can't remember the "phrase" (in the copyright law) that allows you to use the book cover picture in this way ... but it's the same one that allows people to quote material from the book ...anybody know - anyway, pretty sure you will be breaking no laws if you do this.

Blah - having a brain cramp and can't remember the "phrase" (in the copyright law) that allows you to use the book cover picture in this way ... but it's the same one that allows people to quote material from the book ...anybody know - anyway, pretty sure you will be breaking no laws if you do this.

Do you mean fair use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Is it against the law, or unethical in some way, to use a picture of a book cover in a Powerpoint presentation?

I'm speaking this weekend at a homeschool workshop, and I'd like to use pictures of several books in my presentation. I will be plugging these books as wonderful resources. Is this against the law?

No! Not in the least! Book covers are made to be reproduced for promotional purposes. If you stripped off the title and author name and made a big poster for your living room because you thought it'd be pretty--THAT would be infringement.